HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] SpeedTree Assets  (Read 2003 times)

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] SpeedTree Assets
« on: Dec 09, 12, 07:04:03 PM »

Does the license we get to use SpeedTree also include their tree library?  If so, where can we find said library?
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 13, 10:47:57 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: SpeedTree Assets
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 12, 10:07:08 PM »

There are demo trees provided with the SpeedTree for HeroEngine installer. It includes templates, textures, and meshes.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 12, 01:27:34 AM »

So, that would be a no?

Are we allowed to use the demo trees in our game?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 12, 08:27:59 AM »

I would always be concerned about a product's art style or scope if our demo assets were needed to launch the game, but you are welcome to ship any assets included in the SpeedTree for HeroEngine modeler.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 12, 12:59:37 PM »

I'm going to rephrase my question in hopes of a more concise answer...

Is the license we are entitled to use within Hero the "SpeedTree - For Games" license?  If so, they state on their website that said license comes with their entire tree library.  While I won't use demo trees for our final product, their library is extensive and certainly graphically qualified for our project.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 12, 01:42:36 PM »

I believe the license HE has gotten for us is just for the compiler and modeler. As i did some checking and you cannot purchase from their library and use it in game. When you go through the order process and select the game development option it says you cant use them in game development. So when you license speed tree it probably includes a reference library but also probably includes a heftier price tag. Which maybe why HE could license it for us at a lower $.
About all their library store on their site is good for is buying example material that may help you get
an idea on how they achieved a type of tree or plant since we cant use them in game.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 12, 05:53:39 PM »

Thanks, Lunchbox.

I was told specifically by the IDV folks that we could buy and use their assets.  This was after I explained to them that I was using their license via Hero.

I'm OK if we don't have access to a library, and I honestly expect that's the case given the price point of Hero.  I'm just looking for an answer since it seems like its one of those gray areas.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 12, 06:02:23 AM »

There's no gray area. Everything we offer you is in the speed tree for heroengine bundle. You are welcome to buy anything else you'd like.