HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] WalkRun/SRB  (Read 4372 times)

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
[Resolved] WalkRun/SRB
« on: Nov 06, 12, 03:42:48 PM »

Running against a wall on this one.  We have some movement animations that should be working properly since I can possess the NPC and move just fine (indicating the SRB is setup properly from my knowledge).

When using a walkrun Speed Blend it is reporting back the speed is 0 on the animations and thus will not blend them.  It has worked on numerous other models and just one we are having issues with.

What or exactly how does the Feedback_WalkSpeed and Feedback_RunSpeed get set.  Looking at the code it looks like it is outside of HeroScript.  I can see it being mapped, but nothing adjusting or setting it and I am figured it is done via another process.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 12, 05:15:13 PM by HE-Cooper »
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: WalkRun/SRB
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:00:05 PM »

Speed for player characters is based solely on the translation of the SRB in the animation. If you're getting a report of 0 speed and you're sure the animation speed is set correctly then an animation file is not setup correctly. Like you have a setting in a dat/asq etc file that is causing the problem.

I remember a similar issue with another group and it turned out that they had the setting jumptolastframe or something like that set in the runwalk blend, so on one of their characters, where the run loop was shorter than the walk loop, then the run animation was trying to jump to a frame in the animation that it didn't have.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:02:32 PM »

You're right, run and walk speed is not set in script, though it is read there.  Specifically, from the he_npcdata prototype.  Set its speeds via the CLI as in this post:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,2858.msg15735.html#msg15735

Looks like the post they linked to has been removed.  But, yeah, as Cooper said, that should only apply to NPCs; I am not sure from your post if you were trying to get an NPC or PC to work.

Anyways, there you go.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:10:08 PM »

Oh, right, rereading, you're talking about an NPC, but I suspect the problem state is still the same. Have you diffed the animation files for the NPC that's working and the NPC that's not?

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:15:47 PM »

I guess my question is there is a Feedback_WalkSpeed and Feedback_RunSpeed.  Exactly how does it know which one to set and how?  The value has to come from somewhere and I am guessing that is our issue.  Is there a certain naming convention needed for it to pull the information properly?  I could of sworn we have set walkrun blends up without using /henpc to update the speed.

Should note, this is controlled by the player.  I know I can manually set the values and the server controlled speed blend will be ok, but for some reason it cannot get the information from the SRB it needs to populate the walk/run knobs and when doing the walk/run animations instead of walkrun it they move just fine possessed (so SRB shoudl be working from my knowledge).
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 12, 04:20:32 PM by joshhalls »

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:22:12 PM »

Oh, right, rereading, you're talking about an NPC, but I suspect the problem state is still the same. Have you diffed the animation files for the NPC that's working and the NPC that's not?

Yeah so far haven't seen anything yet. 

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:35:03 PM »

what's the name of the character, I'll check it out.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:39:15 PM »

It is "jeep" in Character Specification.  It is located at /character/dynamic_2/jeep.  Vulture is an example of one that has a speedblend that works.  It is /character/vulture

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:48:48 PM »

I doubt it's it, but one is set to male and one to female, I'd be interested if you set the jeep to be the same gender as the vulture if it might bypass whatever file setup issue is in there somewhere.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 12, 04:54:39 PM »

I suspect it's the loop setting on the jeep, but make the following settings on the jeep the same as on the vulture, and let's see what happens.

Jeep asq settings:
walk
InitialLoop=False

Run
InitialSpeed=3

vulture asq settings:
walk
InitialLoop=True

run
InitialSpeed=1

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 12, 05:00:38 PM »

Blarg, that was it.  Thanks Cooper.  Iniitial loop had to be set on both, Initial Speed doesn't seem to matter.  If Initial loop was not set on both it does not work (so I guess that is a requirement).

--Josh
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 12, 05:03:53 PM by joshhalls »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 12, 05:13:37 PM »

Yeah, there are a lot of settings that relate to a myriad of ways to do animations, but by our default implementation aren't needed. Like if you don't set the initial loop to true, then the second animation only plays partially, and the speedupdate doesn't happen correctly.

But some teams (mostly source) completely bypass some of that functionality and then things like initialloop being set to false become a more useful setting, instead of just a failure state for the character controller.