HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How do you build a team?  (Read 2083 times)

Failcookie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
How do you build a team?
« on: Dec 07, 12, 12:57:04 PM »

Hey everyone!

I was curious on how the teams here at HeroEngine are building their teams. From the first part of development all the way into the more completed parts of the project. Are you bring in help from your friends? Finding people in the area? Around the world? I want to hear your tips and real experiences in building a team.

I am looking at starting a project into next year, and while not a big project, I would like to build a team. Learning experience... But I would love to hear some good examples from the community!

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build a team?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 12, 01:18:41 PM »

Basically all of the above :)

Some people bring in friends they've been working on other stuff with for years, be it "real life" friends or people they met playing the same game and were guild/clan mates or something.

Some will post on forums, here at Hero or other indie dev sites.

Could be just a random dude on the subway or something.  You saw him playing EQ2 on a laptop or something and sparked up a conversation.

Personally, I was on my first project here at Hero based on a now recruiting post.  My current project was also through this forum, but this time I posted a resume, so to say and got a spot that way.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 12, 01:26:56 PM »

Some sites that help.

www.freelanced.com  - Artist, 2D and 3D

www.cghub.com  - Artist, 2D and 3D.

www.gamedev.net  - Programmers/Artist

Don't be disappointed if you don't get who you want, or think you need.  People that believe in your project will have no problem saying yes.
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

Failcookie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 12, 01:52:21 PM »

Great information! I have done the small business thing in the past, retail at least, so I have been though the hiring process and the rough spots of finding that one person you want... but turn out to be really crappy.. love it! ha. But I haven't done anything like this before, at least on a digital scale. I joined a project last year through a recruitment post, which was a funny project, but I saw first hand on that kind of perspective.

Looking forward to more posts from people :) thank you both for your input!

The next part I am looking forward to doing some research on... funding!

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 12, 03:31:29 PM »

Thats the fun part, if your seeking outside funding, whether through investors, friends, family, get a lawyer to get you into that direction.

Contracts are key.

If your advised to create a business, legalzoom is great for it, and a much cheaper option than the lawyer, see if they can match the cost. :)

I'm just explaining my process, what you do from here out, is your own. :)
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

Failcookie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 12, 03:42:16 PM »

It is fun! I had to go through a series of funding, but it was light funding. But it was more of a projected profit and analysis and could be determined through success in the community. This is a little bit different so I am actually really excited about it! But I am probably more scared then excited, it's a bit different raising funds for a products instead of a brick-and-mortar business.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 12, 07:27:50 PM »

if you have a budget it is not too hard, just need to hire the right people at places like ineedcash listed. if you don't have a budget, or don't have a game related skill set to contribute to your own project then it's much harder.