HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Tonemapping Problem  (Read 3080 times)

ScottBatterbee

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Tonemapping Problem
« on: Dec 11, 12, 01:20:36 PM »

Since the Sapphire update, there's been a problem with the lighting. After a bit of experimenting, we found out it was an issue with Tonemapping. When a window panel is resized, the lighting becomes extremely bright, to the point you can't see anything except a bright light.

The issue only seems to happen when HDR is on, and Tonemapping is off. The Tonemapping is automatically enabled, and the only way to "fix" the problem with the bright light is to enable Tonemapping, then disable it.

The problem is reproducible and affects anyone on our team.

Anyone got a more permanent solution, or if there's a fix in the works?
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 12, 09:41:37 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Tonemapping Problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 12, 02:05:50 PM »

When you are toggling tone mapping on and off, it's not actually fully updating the scene, since tone mapping isn't something that happens on the fly. So when you resize the viewport, that's what the actual HDR scene looks like without tone mapping enabled.

Without tone mapping enabled, you'd need to bring the HDR values waaaay down to not have an overblown scene.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 12, 02:43:34 PM »

Cooper, it does not matter if you have the values set at the lowest, it still happens. We can set the values all to 0.10, and it still  happens no matter what.

We have the following values:
Enable HDR (on)
Tone Mapping (off)
Glair Type (Natural Bloom)
Key Value (0.01)
Adaptation Multiplier (0.10)
Bloom Scale (0.10)
Star Scale (0.10)

If you re-size the view port, the same exact effect happens as if you set Tone Mapping to enabled with these lowest settings.  I have tied to manually lower them, but it reverts back to 0.01 for Key Value and 1.10 for the rest.

Re-size view port
Turn on Tone mapping
Turn off Tone mapping
Returns back to how you set it.

Now, if you are saying that the re-sized view port is how it really looks.. Then there is still a major bug with the tone mapping either turning on by itself when you re-size, or it is the opposite.

If we have to re-size the window over and over again just to see what our game really looks like, this is really stupid. May as well keep it off for now until it is fixed.

Will try what one suggested to me, but so far, I do not see a difference.

What are the plans for adjusting or fixing any of these bugs regarding the HDR and Tone Mapping issues? What can we hope to expect?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 12, 02:46:30 PM »

There are no issues and no bugs. With those values you have listed, and tone mapping off, then you'll have very low ambient light levels. It just when you disable tone mapping, the viewport doesn't update immediately.

I have dozens of environment schemes, including ones in the default HeroCloud templates, that aren't using tone mapping, (though not using tone mapping would be the rarer cases), and they are all functioning normally.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 12, 02:55:13 PM »

There are two bugs that I have came across that I'd like to report. Entering a key value of lower than .01 works, example, I like .008. I can set that value, and it works, however the blade GUI still displays .01. So the bug is not functionality related, it's a GUI bug, not displaying the lower values, although they are applying themselves to the scene.  Second issue is sometimes you have to resize the viewport for HDR to work. Other than that all seems good. Good stuff, just a few kinks.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 12, 02:58:28 PM by StadiThompson »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 12, 03:00:43 PM »

That's the only point of this thread: is that when you disable tone mapping it doesn't update until the renderer is reset, which happens on view port resize. That's all we're talking about. HDR has nothing to do with it per se, it's just that what many folks think of as "HDR" is the bloom and streaking, which tone mapping diminishes greatly, purposefully.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 12, 03:01:55 PM »

Just a note, do not use tone mapping if you ant to take advantage of the HDR settings, such as the lens effects and bloom.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 12, 03:11:15 PM »

You can of course still use those, but you would need a wider range of lighting. If you look at a game like mass effect, they are tone mapping the game play (not the cinematics) and so whenever you come into a scene with a bright wall light you'll get a screen streak, etc, but just not 100% of the time, which is unnattural. Of course, the first instinct is to just disable tone mapping and easily make everything bloomy and streaky. Heck, it's what every Korean game does, but some people get tired of it.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 12, 03:19:03 PM »

Thanks Cooper! Yeah have to really crank them up. Will kick it around a little good tip.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Tonemapping Problem
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 12, 02:22:15 PM »

I was testing the deploy today and came across a good example of tone mapping in place, but a nice screen effect coming off of bright fire. Just as an example.