HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Have You Checked Out The Material Override System?  (Read 4011 times)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Have You Checked Out The Material Override System?
« on: Dec 12, 12, 09:13:54 AM »

If you haven't played around with it, it's a great and simple tool, especially for teams with small art teams. Even just to be able to animate UVs in any way you like is a huge win for world builders. Just a few clicks and you've got roiling lava, etc. Also a huge win for matching large rock faces and facades to terrain textures.

It pretty much allows you, in combination with the white boxing tools, to do a first pass at any world building.

The Material Override System Part 1

http://youtu.be/pjLY4IVRpNg
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 13, 03:56:48 PM by HE-Cooper »

NC-John

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Nova-Crisis MMORPG
[] Some Fun with Animated UVs (planets)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 12, 02:48:22 PM »

Made a little video here. just loving that I can change shaders and make textures animated in blade. Great work HE team!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByUceBBVNs&feature=youtu.be

I would like to add if you mess around with the properties for the animation UV speed and tweak your lighting you can make a pretty good rotating planet.

Just add these values to channel 0 of the texture and it will rotate slower.

This example has no shaders at all, just white box globe with animated textures and lighting tweaked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20L6wHGmGA&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 12, 12:10:27 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Some Fun with Animated UVs
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 12, 03:23:46 PM »

Hey, looks great. I was waiting for folks to be excited about the material override stuff. :-)

NC-John

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Nova-Crisis MMORPG
Re: Some Fun with Animated UVs
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 12, 03:26:46 PM »

Hey, looks great. I was waiting for folks to be excited about the material override stuff. :-)

You guys have done an outstanding job. this made many of our content creation lives so much easier.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Some Fun with Animated UVs (planets)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 12, 03:39:40 PM »

Woa, that's a really neat effect! :D

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 12, 07:49:07 PM »

nice work, and
I love the material overrides, was one of the things I was most excited for actually. Having it in other engines I worked with, and then not having it made me really appreciate the value.

Just for fun one night I built a whole town with whitebox and made it look really good with some textures I found around the web for free. Was great prototyping, but was so good I almost thought about leaving it in. lol still might build a few small towns all whitebox lego style.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 12, 08:06:54 PM »

Would this also be able to be used to change ground textures to show the effects of snow falling?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Have You Checked Out The Material Override System?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 12, 08:46:39 PM »

yes i took it for a good spin last night, built out a small town with whitebox + free textures/materials I got that I converted to .dds
Makes for a super great tool for protyping, and really why take the time to build an archway when you have one that is insta made.  Oh and made a desert with pyramids as well.
Extrude a torus for a fast and cheap tunnel. Use the ramp for cheap door entries.

Not to mention using those 5 rocks I made and just reMaterial them for different areas, one second its a boring grey default rock, the next its a brown mossy rock, over by the volcano its a dark black red rock. Toss them in at different angles and push them into terrain for about 30 different shapes, with unlimited color options. So much easier then loading the model in maya/3ds, adding a new hero shader, exporting copying both pieces to repository, repeating a hundred times.

Thank you a ton for adding that as it really helps cut down on work, expecially when you are world building and haven't locked down every color / shadow / effect. For example you can quickly lighten up a really bad rocky surface after a few tree shadows mess up your original lighting scheme just by reapplying textures instead of adding and replacing an entire group of meshes.
Not to mention since you are using the same base model you cache less resources and get a small performance gain, depending no how you utilize things.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 12, 12:40:10 AM »

Cool stuff there!

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 12, 01:40:48 AM »

It is godly!

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 13, 01:55:05 PM »

I found a glitch! Hero Blade errors out if you import an object without a texture and then try to override it. Don't know if you guys want to fix it or just assume people will import with a placeholder texture.

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 13, 05:09:04 PM »

It's not really a bug. I think it is written in the wiki that every asset needs a texture in order to showup properly (Without error message). Overriding the texture in Hero Engine sure works, but I rather tend to do it in 3ds max like I always did. But that's of course up to you :)