HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Dynamic Skin Tone Options  (Read 1281 times)

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Dynamic Skin Tone Options
« on: Dec 17, 12, 03:33:07 PM »

Hi there,

I'm now currently confused regarding my options for handling dynamic skin tone.
I plan to use FaceGen to integrate face geometry, it seems to have a separate set of statistics "egt" for handling skin customization, but the use of this with your own textures and UV map is not covered much.

There is also the 3 blend option in HE itself.

I have conceptual issues with the texture map separations as well for the body tone, even if I do go the FaceGen route.

Ideally I'd like to have a head texture and a body/hand texture.

It would be nice to reuse the same textures and uvs for other items that cover these such as mask, gloves, shirt etc.

This leads to some thought on how to combine this all together best.
I certainly have no idea at this stage if I could combine FaceGen texture statistic aspects with texture masking for other elements or how the texture stats would work not using their images.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

It is very important to my game design that players are able to create black men with visible ginger chest hair!

Edit: It's looking like the HE options would be superior to the egt path. I'm trying to get my head around dtbs enough to figure out the best way to proceed still.

New Edit: I actually managed to find some relevant files in my world I could look at.
They seem to confirm that more than one layer was used for face details.

I tried to copy the .dtb layout pretty much exactly and have tried using similar  transparent files for say some lipstick but when I enable the second layer the texture goes into disco mode with the colours changing constantly.

The skin blending I got to work fine using just one layer but Id like to get at least some tattoos and lipstick type details on another layer and I cant get that to work, there doesn't seem to be enough documentation on the subject to really know what's going wrong without hammering at it some more.
Really not sure if it's my textures or the dtb, I really just want to know how the face tattoos in HJ are setup for now.

For hair Id be happy doing it through model attachments in FaceGen. That seems the best course for that.

In general I'm getting to grips with my dynamic character but using a detail layer in a skin bank seems the last major issue (beyond modelling).

Also is there a way I can use more than one blend of 3 textures, is that what happens when you select different races in HJ. I assume the different races have their own 3 racial variation images if you use the skin tone triangle in the character editor.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 13, 01:43:30 PM by HE-BENNETT »

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Skin Tone Options
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 12, 11:48:39 PM »

Take a peek at Hero's Journey dynamic characters. Keep reading the 4 facegen entries pages in the wiki. Take more look at Hero's Journey files. Then read the Customizer documentation on Singulars site. Open up and study the .bat files included in the facegen folder from the source art download (under additional downloads). Study the Wiki entries some more. It take's awhile to digest it all. Took me months to finally figure it out. Though it's all a blur at this point, I can't remember how it was done step by step. Bennett may have some notes he may be able to share.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 12, 11:55:29 PM by StadiThompson »

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 12, 07:03:45 AM »

Thanks Stadi,

I've been all over the docs and references now, think I've absorbed what I need, the work load is killer for sure.

The main thing I'm struggling with now isn't even to do with FaceGen, I just want to know if I can have 2 layers in a skin dtb.

The head.dtb in clean reference seems to show this, this looks how they have done the tattoo and lipstick options in HJ but I can't get it to work myself.

I can't tell from your videos if you're just using skin tone for your characters or if you have extra detail textures.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 12, 07:08:00 AM by Triplelexx »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 12, 11:13:41 AM »

The way HJ's character is set up, they all use (basically) the same skin blend dtb, one for male and one for female.  You seem to have found a bunch of your answers already, but in any case...

You can have two layers in a DTB, one can be a skin blend and the other can be a detail layer.

The disco texture means HeroEngine can't find a texture, so somewhere a path is incorrect.  Check your console for errors!

Your assumption about HJ's races each having their own three textures is correct, if you look at one of the HJ dtb files, for ex.:   HE\Character\Dynamic_2\TextureBanks\female_head\female_head.dtb, you will see four triplets of diffuse textures and four of normal maps.  Depending on which race the character is, the correct set is used.  Look at the HJ character system scripts to see how to set up this sort of thing.

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 12, 01:38:10 PM »

Ok, kicked an poked it some more and after a few uploads it started working, maybe some minor error.

I've got enough concepts down to work with now, see how the cooking goes.
Many thanks.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 12, 09:27:19 PM »

Great to hear! Sorry got to reading a bunch of threads when I replied to this, was reading a Facegen help thread and  this at the same time, posted in the wrong one haha . Glad you figured it out though. Thanks Bennett.

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 12, 09:44:10 PM »

Many thanks!

You can help me with the next one I'm about to post as well if you'd be so kind. :)