HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Speedtree dynamic details?  (Read 1743 times)

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Speedtree dynamic details?
« on: Dec 17, 12, 09:14:39 PM »

Hi, This may be kinda a repeat of the previous "paint meshes" thread but i felt it deserved its own. Anyway, i want to dynamic paint some speedtree models. Yes, i know this sounds crazy but wait till you hear the whole story. The models i want to paint are actually small grasses, not trees. They are pretty small and as far as i know not very system demanding. Here is an image of the model inside speedtree : [ as you can see, it is not very big and does not have many polygons. Also, here is an image of the grass model inside of heroengine: Anyway, if you have ever played World of Warcraft, i would like to make a ton of these models and paint them like the grass doodads in world of warcraft, and i would except for a couple problems. The first is that the dynamic detail paint meshes feature will only allow painting of either .gr2 or .hgm files. Second is that the herocloud version of the speedtree compiler will only compile in a format that is used for heroengine, and i cannot export in a version that 3dsmax will read and then import to heroengine from there. So my question is: Is there an easy way of dynamicly painting these meshes or will i have to place them 1 by 1?

P.S: i would just make the model by hand in 3dsmax but i have some weird bugs when trying to do this, and i would rather just get the speedtree models to work if possible.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 13, 09:34:37 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Speedtree dynamic details?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 12, 10:21:09 PM »

You can dynamically paint HGM meshes using the dynamic paint tool. Or us the dynamic detail tool to paint billboards, but you can't use the dynamic mesh tool to place speedtree meshes. SpeedTrees bring far too much overhead to want to do that.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 13, 09:33:58 AM by HE-Cooper »

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 12, 01:54:39 PM »

Hmm I am experimenting with grass mesh made of crossed as well as the provided billboard one looks really awful from 3rd person (especially when you run around looking at the ground). I am observing two problems with this approach:

1. Wind is not working. This can be really a dealbreaker with grassy areas.

2. The performance is going down pretty fast. You have to double all planes in your mesh (HE can't do doublesided materials it seems) so a reasonable grass mesh (similar to the one used in Oblivion but still a lot simpler) has some 40 triangles. When trying to create a grass field with nice density of grass this means rendering A LOT of polys.

So I would like to ask more experienced devs:
- is it possible to implement custom grass shader that would render two-sided planes?
- is it possible to include wind effect into such shader? I know this is generally possible but I would like if HE shaders have the necessary API
- can we use LODs for details meshes?

Thanks

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 12, 02:30:10 PM »

Let me make it clear though, I would very specifically not make grass out of mesh objects. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to y'all. :-)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 12, 02:53:41 PM »

Let me make it clear though, I would very specifically not make grass out of mesh objects. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to y'all. :-)

Well I don't have many games on my hard drive right now but as far as I know NONE of them is using simple billboard planes for grass, there could be a reason for that. Another bug(?) I found with the billboard one is that it does not receive fog. Is it just me?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 12, 03:53:24 PM »

Go for your dream. We're just here to help. :-)