HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [] Occlusion Bug  (Read 1070 times)

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[] Occlusion Bug
« on: Dec 19, 12, 11:32:35 AM »

We stumbled upon an occlusion bug last night. Occlusion is turning off and on depending on the distance/angle which you stand (in player mode). I have uploaded a video showing the issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsW15AJG7E&feature=youtu.be&vq=large

To reproduce the problem I took a stock HeroEngine occluder plane. I then made the occluder very large to cover the city from my viewing. Next I reduced the alpha channel of the occluder to .96  using the diffuse channel in the occluder's properties menu. This allows us to see the occlusion taking place realtime.

I also tried this in clean engine with a few simple boxes, it does the same thing, just thought a city would look a bit more epic ;) . Anyway I hope this is what is causing the performance issues. If you take note of the framerate in the corner of the video, you can clearly see that performance is dropping in and out as occlusion turns off and on. Good luck.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 13, 10:17:46 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Occlusion Bug
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 12, 11:43:51 AM »

I don't trust those old occlusion volumes, especially not at huge scales, but that certainly doesn't look right. If it was just the huge pieces back there I'd be less concerned but there are clearly trees and smaller things that are doing odd things.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Occlusion Bug
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 12, 12:02:20 PM »

Same, as it was GR2, but, originally Josh stumbled across this and he was using an HGM wall asset model textured and all. So I can confirm it wasn't just the HE stock occluder plane.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Queued] Occlusion Bug
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 13, 11:02:02 AM »

Does this happen in your player client also?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 13, 03:35:58 PM »

Queued

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 13, 10:50:40 AM »

We aren't able to repro this issue in any of our worlds. Can you provide us a clean repro in your world please.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 13, 01:08:15 PM »

We've looked over the repro, and it looks like things are functioning as expected. DPVS does a lot of guesswork to make sure it never occludes anything it shouldn't, and it sub groups nodes in order to be more efficient. So especially in situations like the repro case, where the occluder is in the middle of the camera space and angles are changing, it's going to have to try to figure out what it should leave up, and it's only going to kill off the 100 percent certain things to be occluded.

We'll play around with it more, but don't see anything wrong yet.