HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Suggestion: Set terrain texture alpha level  (Read 4021 times)

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Suggestion: Set terrain texture alpha level
« on: Dec 20, 12, 11:31:23 PM »

Hi, this is just an idea that i though would be kool, not even sure if it could be done. Anyway i was playing around world building and the idea hit me: what if we could have 1 terrain texture on level 2, 3, or 4, and be able to scale the affects of the alpha on that texture! for example: you have a brick road texture with an alpha channel on level 2. If this idea was to be put into effect, there would be a way of telling the engine which parts of that texture to show the alpha and which parts not to. This way you could have a solid brick road, and have some parts of the level underneath it (in this case level 1) show through. That way you could have a grass or dirt texture show through the brick without having to create multiple different textures, and could just tell the engine what parts of the brick to show through. This would be a huge time saver, and i am sure allot of world builders/artists  would appreciate it. Anyway i know you guys are busy fixing bugs and optimizing more important parts of the engine and what not, but i just thought this was a good idea and wanted to share it.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 13, 04:01:44 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Set terrain texture alpha level
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 12, 07:50:23 AM »

You would just use a texture with an alpha channel in it.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 12, 11:21:17 AM »

i know, the difference between my idea and that is that you would be able to control which parts of the alpha channeled texture would actually show the alpha channel and which parts the engine would ignore the alpha.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 12, 11:23:34 AM »

I don't know what that means, but you can control alpha per vert by setting the brush density. Otherwise you would make a texture and control what parts of that texture are transparent by using an alpha channel.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 12, 05:54:46 PM »

Ok, i think i know how to explain it. Ill start by showing you this image:

as you can see, there is grass and a solid rock texture on level 1 and a version of the rock texture with an alpha channel to look more broken on level 2. Basically, I am suggesting that there be a way of having only 1 rock texture with an alpha instead of having the one without an alpha on level 1 and the one with an alpha on level 2. The one rock texture would have an alpha map and be on level 2 on top of the grass, and there would be a brush or something in the terrain texture panel that says something to the effect of "show/hide alpha".  You would then use the brush to go over the rock texture and when you click, the rock texture under the brush would either show or hide the transparency of the alpha channel. Again its just an idea that i thought would be cool, and don't worry about it if you still don't know what i am talking about lol

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 12, 07:39:41 PM »

You basically want to toggle alpha of a terrain texture on a per vertex basis...

Why just not use the method as you use now? It's not much "extra" work.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 12, 10:17:45 PM »

ya i know, when i thought of the idea it sounded allot better in my head than it does know that i think about it, but i still think it would be kind of nice. Your right though, its not really that big of an improvement to waste time working on.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 12, 05:54:16 AM »

I don't even think it would be an improvement.

There would be extra calculus for each terrain texture that you apply and that is loaded, making it more difficult for the engine. Changing the properties of a given image (assume .dds) on a per vertex basis is too demanding, and would actually be counterproductive it seems.