HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Re: Making a Seamless World without Borders  (Read 2427 times)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Making a Seamless World without Borders
« on: Dec 22, 12, 01:05:40 AM »

we recommend not making areas that cover more than 256 square meters

This is a very precise measurement - where is the size of an area shown on the properties panel? I've looked, and have only found "Width" and "Depth", both of which seem to be locked in at 32, and I'm not sure what that number indicates in terms of scale/size.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Making a Seamless World without Borders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 12, 04:10:50 AM »

we recommend not making areas that cover more than 256 square meters

This is a very precise measurement - where is the size of an area shown on the properties panel? I've looked, and have only found "Width" and "Depth", both of which seem to be locked in at 32, and I'm not sure what that number indicates in terms of scale/size.

You are setting your terrain's size upon its creation. I also thin Cooper miswrote that.. 256 square meters means 16x16 meters areas :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 12, 09:11:39 AM »

There's nothing miswritten. We suggest not exceeding 256 by 256, what size heightmap nodes you use to make up that area is up to you. The default size is 32 by 32 for a heightmap node, but you can use smaller or larger as you see fit.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 12, 01:33:02 PM »

Quote from: HE-1356189099
The default size is 32 by 32 for a heightmap node, but you can use smaller or larger as you see fit.

The Depth and Width settings are grayed out for me each time I add a new heightmap - what do I need to do to be able to edit them?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 12, 01:36:55 PM »

You can't scale a height map as it has terrain textures on it. You would create new height maps, or duplicate the existing ones. You can regrid or merge height maps to different sizes, but there's no reason to unless you specifically are trying to manage occlusion versus draw call scenarios.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 12, 02:42:10 PM »

One other thing about areas and player loads - would the best way of hanbdling a large social hub be to spread it over several areas rather than put it all in one area? For example, our project is set in a large modern city, and the main social hub is planned as the central plaza, so should the plaza be located across 3-4 areas to help handle the amount of players that would be using the plaza?

Dragorth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 12, 04:11:54 PM »

That is a solution, but you could also "hide" players from each other to help with players performance, and create multiple instances of that area to help with cloud performance. Some mixture of these three would form a tailored solution for your game.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 12, 12:06:39 AM »

One other thing about areas and player loads - would the best way of hanbdling a large social hub be to spread it over several areas rather than put it all in one area? For example, our project is set in a large modern city, and the main social hub is planned as the central plaza, so should the plaza be located across 3-4 areas to help handle the amount of players that would be using the plaza?

if you break it into several areas remember having a grid of areas touching gains nothing, but if you use curves / buildings to hide line of sights, etc use alleyways to connect areas, etc then you can "spread" people out just a bit to keep them from having to load tons of players. It's why you see banks in one part of a city, guild npcs in another, crafting stations in yet another etc. it spreads them out to different areas, but still keeps people wanting the same function grouped.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 12, 12:18:01 AM »

just to make sure I'm 100% in line,

its fine when creating our grid to use

width Meters: 256
Depth Meters: 256

Then pick the prefered size which now defaults to 64x64.

also is there a large pro con choice / decision to be made when choosing the prefered size? is smaller better or larger better or average. I know the preferred size determines the number of nodes / instances in the area, but is there key factors to think about when choosing that?

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]