HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] New lighting system?  (Read 1798 times)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] New lighting system?
« on: Dec 19, 12, 12:04:20 PM »

Hi,
I have few questions concerning the new lightning model in HE 2.0 to remove some doubts:

- Where did Bloom go? No matter how I set the sliders there is no bloom at all

- How to re-enable sun rendering in the dynamic sky? it just disappeared after the update and I found no way to get it back

- How is the HDR system supposed to work? I am having some difficulties understanding the purpose of this. I enable it and play with the values but it still behaves weirdly. Maybe it's due to the missing sun, I don't know, but as far as I know from other engines/games, HDR is supposed to create the nice glare with light bleeding over edges of the geometry when you look at something bright. Not accurate, but this is how it looks to the user (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOqTReFDdI). Now, I look into the sun, nothing happens. Then I look somewhere else and suddenly I have half of my screen covered in bluish white. I look back, now there is a corona around the sun slowly fading out. I look elsewhere, no glare. I look back at the sun - nothing happens. Even there is a spot in my map (just some terrain, nothing special) where if I look at the sun from the left, I get the glare. When I look at it from the right, I get no glare. Could you please, please, make a tutorial on how to setup it to look at least like something in that video I linked?

Thanks for anwers.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 12, 09:15:15 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: New lightning system?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 12, 12:15:06 PM »

There is a post in the art section about it.

Bloom is part of HDR. Those old bloom sliders are no longer needed for HeroCloud developers.

I don't know what sun rendering means. What is sun rendering? You mean a flare you've attached to the light source position?

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 12, 03:29:06 PM »

Thanks for answering!

I don't know what sun rendering means. What is sun rendering? You mean a flare you've attached to the light source position?

Yeah, pretty much that, like it was in pre-2.0 versions. Don't know the technical details of it but it was certainly nice :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 12, 03:31:14 PM »

There's no such thing as sun rendering in either version. There's a direction of the light, and then there's the ability to attach a flare object to a fake sun position. Is it possible you just forgot your created a flare object and now the color scheme is hiding it?

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 12, 10:05:23 AM »

There's no such thing as sun rendering in either version. There's a direction of the light, and then there's the ability to attach a flare object to a fake sun position. Is it possible you just forgot your created a flare object and now the color scheme is hiding it?

o.O I surely didn't attach anything anywhere... I didn't even know there is an option to attach a custom flare to the sun. How would you do that anyway?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Resolved] New lighting system?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 12, 10:25:06 AM »

Okay, but here's the first concept I think you might be getting hung up on. There is no sun. There is just a light direction and angle, apex, etc. So if you were to "look" at that origin you wouldn't see anything.

With that being said, we have a flare system. You can create a flare, then edit its properties, and in the the properties panel set it to move with the sun, which means the flare will change as the dynamic sky's light origin changes.

I outline that all briefly at the end of the world building tutorial video.

Mdaniel27

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 12, 12:09:53 PM »

Which video exactly?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 12, 09:11:57 AM »

The terrain building video linked on the front of the wiki and the top of this forum. Take your time and look through all the information we've provided. There's a lot to take in.