HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Camera Parenting and Skeleton Structures  (Read 1361 times)

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Camera Parenting and Skeleton Structures
« on: Dec 26, 12, 10:27:08 AM »

Hello all, I'm having a problem with one of my characters related to the camera when you possess the NPC. The camera will shake while the character is walking and seems to be parented to one of the bones that bobs up and down during the walk cycle. Does anyone know what bone the camera would be getting parented to or how to get the camera to not move with the skeleton?

It's also worth noting that when the character is playing its idle animation the name moves with it, which is not something that happens with my other character or the sample characters.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 13, 12:54:56 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Camera Parenting and Skeleton Structures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 12, 11:38:06 AM »

You can parent the camera bone to whichever bones in the hierarchy you'd like. It sounds like you have the camera parented to a bone that you've animated. In some situations that can be good, like having some bob in the run animation of an FPS game, so it can be a creative choice.

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 12, 12:49:01 PM »

That sounds like exactly what I need! I don't have a camera bone in the hierarchy currently, will it parent the camera to it if I give it a specific name? Is there a tutorial somewhere I can follow? I found the FPS camera tutorial on the wiki but that looks much more in depth than I need.

Thanks!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 12, 01:03:06 PM »

I confused you by saying camera bone. In script you attach the camera to whatever bone you'd like. By default I think it's attached to bip01.

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 12, 01:12:19 PM »

ooooh okay, thanks!

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 12, 02:22:06 PM »

I apologize if this info is covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find where to change what bone the default camera binds to. Is there a tutorial that covers how to do this?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 13, 12:54:48 PM »

You would change it in your character controller or camera settings. We have an FPS camera tutorial on the wiki that will walk you through changing to a first person camera. Then you could choose however you wanted to set your character and camera up.

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Camera Parenting and Skeleton Structures
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 13, 12:59:32 PM »

Thanks! I was able to find the underlying issue I was having. The default camera is actually parented to the SRB and my artist had the SRB parented to Bip01 instead of the other way around, which meant that when Bip01 was moving in the animation the SRB was getting a lot of translation it shouldn't have.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Camera Parenting and Skeleton Structures
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 13, 01:11:49 PM »

Glad to hear it!