HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Billboard GUI Controls  (Read 1574 times)

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Billboard GUI Controls
« on: Dec 25, 12, 08:24:51 AM »

Did anything change in the engine since Sapphire regarding how gui controls are displayed on billboards via CreateBillboardFromGUIControl()?

I am struggling a little in placement of multiple billboards on-screen, each with a gui control on it.  The issue is that if one billboard is in front of another relative to the camera, the one in front takes all mouse events, even if the event occurs at a place where the billboard is transparent.

To work around that, I have tried to get the guis to fill each billboard as much as possible, so I can make the billboards as small as possible while retaining the apparent size of the guis on-screen.  In the past, I was able to increase the scale of the gui to have it fill more of the billboard.

Recently, however, it seems that there is a limit to the size (in pixels) of a gui that a billboard will display, and the limit seems to be based on the current size of the viewport.

Attached are two images.  The first shows a square gui put onto a billboard.  The yellow border shows the edges of the billboard while the image in the middle is the whole gui.  you can see there is always a border of space around the gui.

The second image shows what it looks like with the gui scale changed from 1.0 to 1.7.  Instead of filling more of the billboard, it is cutoff.

Any idea how it get it to better fill the billboard, or to get mouse events to pass through the transparent part of the billboard?
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.