HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Reproduced] Exporting items with a Character  (Read 4794 times)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Exporting items with a Character
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 13, 04:10:38 PM »

Er, well I wouldn't use the rig from the HE example characters, simply because its old, but that may be fine.  It shouldn't cause this behavior in any case.

1)  Yes.  Doing it otherwise just makes the system more complicated for no significant difference in performance.

2) Ah, so you're saying that you get an error when you try to load the asset in HeroBlade!  Okay, that is a little different.  Let me know if it still gives you the LOD0 error.

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 13, 07:21:15 PM »

Sorry this took me so long to get to again. Here is how I initially was exporting a wearable item, just as a Static asset. Not weighted or parented to anything.

1) Hat is in the scene, not weighted or parented to anything. Visually I've fit the hat to the Head mesh so it would look ok on his head.

Here it shows the local axis of the Head bone.

Here it shows me aligning the local pivot of the hat to the pivot of the Head bone.

2) Everything is aligned correctly so I then move my Hat to 0.0.0

3) I check materials. The hat material is all set as a hero. The others for the Helmet and the Player are also Hero materials.

4) I export using Static asset and Export Selected.

5) Assets uploaded to the repo

After that when I try to even see the Hat model in the library and make an icon, it doesn't show a model and also when I try to drag it in-game I get these errors.

!ERROR!System:ModelGroup::Load() of [\statics\armors\hats\milcap1.hgm] did not have its base 0 LOD!
!ERROR!System:Asset \statics\armors\hats\milcap1.hgm has no models, is it an animation?
!ERROR!System:instance 1000000579 of \statics\armors\hats\milcap1.hgm could not be instantiated.
!ERROR!HeroScript::HeroMachine::ScriptError:Lightweight Node ID not found
!ERROR!System:SCRIPT ERROR: In function SetNodeRotation: Lightweight Node ID not found
01/08/2013 20:07:20

NOTE: I've gotten the Hat and Helmet to work perfectly but only when I remove all traces of the Character and then it loads fine into the game after I re-export. There are no warnings or errors in either case when I export from Max as an HGM file. In both case the export runs fine.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 13, 07:26:39 PM by grogbro »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 13, 09:31:10 AM »

Ok, I'll let you know if I need more info, but I can probably track it down from there.  If not, I'll probably ask you to send over a copy of the scene file; It may be something very specific that is triggering the weird behavior.  Despite the exporter not throwing any errors, I suspect it is setting something wrong.

*Edit*  I've reproduced the behavior with a simple test scene & asset.  So, no need to send over your file.

In the meantime, you totally should just make it a dynamic character part.  Things like hats are precisely the kind of thing it was designed for :)
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 13, 09:39:05 AM by HE-BENNETT »

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 13, 10:11:51 PM »

It's not a big hit if I skin all the wearable items, even helmets, hats? I mean, that makes it easier for me since I can just skin them and not worry about having to line things up properly on the model (until he moves). If it's not a big hit then that's great. I assume I would continue keeping the weapons though as static assets though?

I've started doing this today and I've already got the items back in by making them skinned parts so its a lot easier. I just thought the load would be worse.

Would like to find out what you discover on the exporter end about exporting a static asset from a character file. Thanks for the help and for checking into it!
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 13, 11:03:40 PM by grogbro »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 13, 09:21:40 AM »

Basically, if you remove the SRB, everything will work properly when you export.  This will be fixed in a future release of the export pipeline.

But yes, I confirmed with our engineers, it is less of a performance hit to have all the pieces be dynamic character parts.  You could potentially cause more of a performance hit by manually attaching static parts.

Even the weapons should be done as dynamic character parts; Aside from performance, it ensures that all the parts including the weapons use the same shadow map.  Dynamic and static assets use different shadow maps and having a static asset weapon can result in visual discrepancies in the shadow of a character.

Also, it makes having animations on a weapon, such as reloading the gun in the FPS reference world, a lot easier!

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: [Reproduced] Exporting items with a Character
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 13, 12:41:11 AM »

I have the test gear on him now as dynamic and it's working well. I can't imagine it being a better load for the engine if its rigged and has to 'think' about the weighting, but I can see the shadow map being an issue with a static model. If you get the exporter so that it totally ignores the rigged character in the same scene as a static object I would love to test that out. ;)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Reproduced] Exporting items with a Character
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 13, 10:25:20 AM »

We've looked at this, and it's part of the core functionality of these pipelines and the exporter. So for the foreseeable future this falls between a "working as designed" and "don't do that" bug. :-)
Pages: 1 [2]