HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Directory Structure Question  (Read 1906 times)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
[Resolved] Directory Structure Question
« on: Jan 05, 13, 09:52:44 PM »

We're now 5 weeks into our project and have just started to add our own art assets to the engine, and we're wondering if there's any recommended directory structure we should use for setting up our folders?
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 13, 03:39:01 PM by HE-Cooper »
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Directory Structure Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 13, 10:34:21 AM »

It is definitely good to put some forethought into organization, though it will largely depend on your team's needs and goals.  I believe there are only a few things that need to be in a particular location, such as terrain textures.

One important point is to not use any spaces in folder names or it will not work.  The file names can technically have spaces, but it is a good practice to not use spaces anywhere in the naming.

Early on, we decided to create a subfolder inside of GUI to house our own gui files.  That way ours are not mixed in among the built-in ones and they are easier to find.  We also then further divided it into more subfolders inside of that for different categories.

Which brings to mind an important question I just thought of for the Hero team.  The standard has been that we cannot ship our games with any of the art assets that come with the Clean Engine.  Then does that also apply to all of the images in the GUI folder?  In which case when using any of the standard gui controls we will need to replace all of the graphics.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 13, 10:35:57 AM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 13, 12:01:11 PM »

Yeah, actually, there's some images in there that probably shouldn't be, like that damn hasselhoff image keeps showing up, but no, you can ship any GUI images you want.

The main purpose of me telling developers that they can't ship our world building assets, characters, terrain textures, etc, is that early on, especially when the HeroCloud was free, was that developers kept wanting to use our 14 example assets as their game, and I had to make it clear to them that they had a year of work to do, and that our assets weren't going to help at all, especially seeing that they were 7 years old. :-)

So yes, the rule is, you can't ship our models or characters, but honestly, if your game gets to beta and you can prove to me that you have a real game and you still really want the wall piece that comes in Fantasy Lowlands, just ask. :-)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 13, 08:27:17 PM »

We were thinking of adding our own folder under the HE one, and then replicating the current folder set up in it.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 13, 08:20:46 PM »

If you mean to replicate all of the folders, that strikes me as not such a good idea, or at least rather redundant.  Most of the folders do not really get used much.

They are already broken up into useful categories, so may as well use those categories, and then subdivide them as desired rather than starting an entirely separate branch for everything.  But I suppose it could work either way.

I guess most important is to plan to do it one way which makes most sense to your team, and then stay consistent.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.