HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] SpeedTree Triangles?  (Read 1358 times)

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] SpeedTree Triangles?
« on: Jan 07, 13, 10:53:45 AM »

What would you guys say is a good limit in triangles for a tree in SpeedTree?

Since i noticed its VERY easy to get the count skyhigh very fast
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 13, 03:45:56 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: SpeedTree Triangles?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 13, 11:02:28 AM »

Same as any of your other objects. :-P It really depends on how much is in your scenes, what you plan to be your minimum system specs, etc.

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 13, 11:04:42 AM »

I was more thinking of a full forest kind of zone.. with alot of trees.

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 13, 12:03:42 PM »

I was more thinking of a full forest kind of zone.. with alot of trees.

You can set the level of detail for you Speedtrees, so a forest can be made. Use _RT parts and trees, RT stands for realtime, those part and trees are optimized for games. You must learn the sliders and learn how to reduce trees for optimial use. Then you must set up the level of detail in Speedtree and use the lever on the bottom left of the viewport to view the different LODs. Keep an eye on the poly counts, and get them to your liking. Once you get them in the engine you can set how fast the LODs kick in by setting the LOD Factor higher.  Your trees in the background will turn into billboards.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 13, 12:06:52 PM by StadiThompson »

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 13, 12:08:08 PM »

Okey cool. Still playing around with the software to learn it. Will start making the trees for the game soon. Just wanted to check if there was any number i should stay away from :P

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: [Resolved] SpeedTree Triangles?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 13, 07:27:27 AM »

a million. I tried it once, to my surprise HE loaded it for about 5 seconds before my world booted me. Had to delete it from repository to get back into the game.

But on a more serious note, you can make amazing looking trees with lower poly counts if you really work on it, but you are correct takes about 5 mouse clicks on the wrong thing to quickly add thousands of poly counts. what stadi points out is the key to doing a forest well though. Also keep in mind in real forests the trees tend to be spread out if they have limbs, or are tighter if they don't. This is good to keep in mind, cause you can mix and match to get density without raising the poly counts as much.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]