HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [resolved] game layer GUIs?  (Read 1368 times)

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
[resolved] game layer GUIs?
« on: Jan 08, 13, 03:22:47 AM »

I was making a GUI, and tying it to the game layer so that they all turn off when player needs blank screen for picture taking. I made it a movable window type. When I go to move the window around the screen, all the GUIs on the game layer move with it. This is not very good. Taking it off the game layer, then links it to the other GUIs not on the game layer.

I noticed the temp_chatwindow is not on the game layer, and does not move with others. This is good.

It seems the layers can be good for 1 thing, like all linked to visible= false, but not good for another feature like moving GUIs.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 13, 01:38:33 AM by Thazager »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: game layer GUIs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 13, 05:35:30 PM »

You certainly can move individual controls in a layer without moving others in that layer.

What is the value of the owner field of your move panel?
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 13, 12:20:55 AM »

Thanks.
After adding a few println() in ths script.

I saw that Hotbar, expBar, and statusBar have no owner field, while the TMP_chatWindow from tutorial does.

If that is what keeps the GUI separate from the others on the screen, I shall look into adding/changing a parent for it to get the field.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 13, 12:45:13 AM »

The GUI Controls page in the wiki has a good description of how the owner field of a move panel controls what gets moved.  I'm still just speculating, but that is what I imagine it could be, since a control which does not have an explicit parent set will have the layer as its parent, and if the owner is set to "1" then it moves its parent and all of the parent's children, which in the case of the layer being the parent would move everything in the layer.  So, hopefully that is what is going on.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 13, 01:38:14 AM »

Thanks. it was the owner that made each a separate item. Using 0, it allowed the movepanel to not drag the others along.