HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] What is the largest world developed in Hero?  (Read 5026 times)

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Greed Monger - Sandbox MMORPG

I'm curious what the largest land mass Hero has handled to date.
1 square mile? 100 square miles?

I'm talking completely in Hero, not a customized version of the 75k source code by a multi million dollar corp.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 13, 06:00:05 PM by HE-Cooper »
Did you develop an MMO using Hero? Have chunks of code or systems you'd like to sell? Let me know! We are looking to save time where possible!

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: What is the largest world developed in Hero?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 13, 11:07:54 PM »

You have a confusing question.

Talking whole game, or a single AREA in HE.

AREA wise depends on how you code things, and you can use the seamless system, to link many areas together to get a huge seamless world that is several AREAs big.

On a recommended note, devs suggest 256 by 256 meters

personally we looking at areas around / between 512 and 768, depending on what we have planned for that area.

We tried 1000 by 1000 meters, but it seems the overhead isn't worth the saved space. But we found having 256 area caused us to end up gridding zones together and that is just as bad as having a large area if not worse. With a 512 / 768. Can come up with a mix.

But after haggling devs all day long for weeks. It's really more on how you plan to build game / what combat you plan on having, / what action and how it's spread out. Which is true, cause the spacial awareness system, does a bunch of weight lifting to keep game traffic down. The other aspect is thinking on client side.

And when you look at things like 512 area it seems smaller, but really once you add things to it and make hills etc that end up increasing it's real overall size / feel it becomes workable.

So no easy answer, more of just play around with it see what you get.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 13, 07:46:33 AM »

The limit to your area size depends on 2 things:

1. Harddisk space
2. Your gamedesign.

If your gamedesign does not allow for loading screens, use the Seamless 2.0 technology. But there is no limit to size, except for the aforementioned.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 13, 09:29:45 PM »

We are over 100 square km at the moment (or roughly there).
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 13, 11:28:57 AM »

We are over 100 square km
Hope you give them some vehicles--that's a long way to schlep it.  :)
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 13, 01:27:36 PM »

We are over 100 square km
Hope you give them some vehicles--that's a long way to schlep it.  :)

Yep, they are mostly working.  Was fun figuring out the seamless transition aspect, but finally beat it into submission.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 13, 08:00:46 PM »

yeah that seamless stuff is a pain in the cushion area. I'm still figuring out how to get a fireball across lines to hit someone.

Glad to hear you got your mounts / vehicles to cross over well.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

NC-John

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Nova-Crisis MMORPG
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 13, 10:33:50 AM »

If i remember right the average planet size in Star wars galaxies was 15KM which is around 9 or 10 game miles square. My game  (I'm projecting may be less) will be around 45 square miles which is 116.55Km and that will be just the starting planet.

The massive size has a purpose but right now I haven't even started to design that with seamless 2.0 but will probably start in spring.

The primary way of transportation will include atmospheric flight so you land your shuttle from space or at a port you can zip around on that. it remains were you land so don't loose track of it's location. you will also have a personal vehicle you can use to get back and forth.

I would like to add that the shuttle drops from your personal star ship orbiting the planet you choose travel to or have discovered. Also, if your flagged from PVP your shuttle can be attacked and disabled which entails a hefty repair price unless you craft the the replacement parts. Same goes for the personal vehicle and the star ship.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 13, 11:02:24 AM by NC-John »

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] What is the largest world developed in Hero?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 13, 03:05:03 PM »

So you have to make numerous areas linked together via a smaller zone like a mountain pass?  Can't you just make a flat square playing area.  I was wondering how you would set up the world as either an EQ style with large area's connected by walk area's or a large area like in Darkfall?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Resolved] What is the largest world developed in Hero?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 13, 03:12:14 PM »

You're misunderstanding the concepts here technowolf. An area in the HeroEngine is a unit of server simulation, and seamless 2.0 specifically allows you to create whatever layout you'd like.