HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: A Parcel (Land Ownership) System  (Read 1071 times)

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
A Parcel (Land Ownership) System
« on: Jan 16, 13, 04:16:51 PM »

I know I've been asking alot of questions and thanks for taking the time to answer them all! But I've got another question. Ok So a major feature of our game is the ability to purchase Parcels of land and then create your house, store, Garden, ect on your parcels of land. There's a limit of 4 per account. Each parcel is 40meters by 40meters.

Now in Unity3D we had it setup so that each parcel was a trigger with a Parcel script attached to it that had the owner's ID, Permissions, List of Objects on the parcel, ect. Then when the player moved onto a parcel it would check to see if he/she was the owner and if not then if the player had permission to use the parcel.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to translate all of this over to Hero. Any ideas or Tips? Thanks!

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: A Parcel (Land Ownership) System
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 13, 04:54:12 PM »

It sounds like it might be similar to the player housing system, but maybe without starting with the house, being open for their use.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 13, 05:01:35 PM »

Well, it depends on how you want to set it up. Is this public space within the world, but owned by a given player, like with Ultima Online? Or is it instanced off, etc?

You could look at regions as a concept. You could look at the player housing tutorial, as mentioned above. You could look at the Social reference farm game, which is using awareness so that players only see their own "farm", even though they're all standing on top of each other as far as the server is concerned.

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 13, 05:17:40 PM »

Greed Monger is heavily based off of UO. So yes it's non-instanced player owned land. The Regions might be a good starting point... Thanks!