HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] fps mmorpg?  (Read 983 times)

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] fps mmorpg?
« on: Jan 20, 13, 11:00:45 AM »

Hey.

I would say that i allready know the answer to this question but thought i should aks anyway.

the question is if its possible to make a fps mmorpg. sort of like Mortal Online. I know it is possible if you know how to do it.

So the question is really: Would there be any restrictions by doing it? Limited number of players for example?
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 13, 01:11:43 PM by HE-Cooper »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: fps mmorpg?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 13, 11:50:05 AM »

no huge barrier, beyond what you typically face with any mmorpg.

As far as loads etc with proper use of the seamless system, you can support a bunch of people.

I'm currently working on an fps mmorpg and working to put it all together. Really there isn't much different from a normal mmorpg vs FPS one beyond needing to handle projectile based attacks vs targeted ones, and then working out what systems you need for GUI so the player can get the feedback on their surroundings.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 13, 11:53:41 AM »

Ah okey cool.

I manage to get the FPS camera working last night. Now i need to figure out the whole character control stuff for it also....

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 13, 11:57:17 AM »

Just keep in mind that twitch based fully accurate FPS shooting and and hit detection is far more computationally intensive, and approaches and n squared problem far more quickly than standard mmorpgs, where a few meters of disparity between 2 clients doesn't matter. However, in an FPS, 2 meters of disparity is the whole game.

That alone is the primary reason that most FPS games never go above 16 or 32 players, and also rely almost entirely on the client and on p2p connections, which then opens up all of those obvious problems, etc.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 13, 09:40:41 PM »

yeah as cooper points out. a true FPS game is more of a challenge, but if you are looking more for how mortal and darkfall are doing their "fps" mmorpgs then you should be fine, challenge is just nailing your combat system.

Also make sure you spread your combat hot spot out as much as possible to give you as much flexibility in managing the loads as possible.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]