HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Hero Barely useable on brand new machine.  (Read 5662 times)

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Greed Monger - Sandbox MMORPG
Hero Barely useable on brand new machine.
« on: Jan 14, 13, 07:54:52 PM »

I am not a developer, but I am logging in to see what the development team is doing and for some reason, Hero is running REALLY slow, to the point of barely being able to rotate the camera. Clicking anything has long delays etc.

I run Skyrim at max settings at 1920 resolution at high FPS. So I'm really not sure what could be causing this.

Intel Core i7-3630M.CPU @ 2.4 GHZ
16GB Ram
Vista 64 Bit OS
Geforce GTX 675M

I mean, this laptop is supposed to be one of the best on the market right now.

Is there something I should look into?
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 13, 07:56:30 PM by ElectricCrow »
Did you develop an MMO using Hero? Have chunks of code or systems you'd like to sell? Let me know! We are looking to save time where possible!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Hero Barely useable on brand new machine.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 13, 08:23:50 PM »

Sounds like error spam most likely. Are your console or chat windows spamming errors?

Does the FPS become playable with shadows off?
Is this in your regular HeroCloud world?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 13, 10:48:18 PM »

Your specs are far and above the level that Hero requires to be fully functional. As cooper stated, there may be issues with what the coders or art department have done in the areas that you are loading into.

Try loading into a reference world and seeing if your FPS get hammered. If that is the case, it could be some dodgy installation. Otherwise, i suspect the FPS issues are caused by non optimised changed made by your team.

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 13, 11:51:07 PM »

The area in question is the Fantasy Lowlands. Our whole Dev. Team get's rather poor frame rates there. On my Quad Core 8 gig ram and Dedicated DirectX 11 Graphics Card I get anywhere from 27 fps to 35 fps depending on that way I'm looking.

The Only changes I've made to the Scripting is I changed to our own Custom Character Node which is based mostly off of the E_playerCharacter version with some Getter and setters for AFK Status, DND, GM mode, ect.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 13, 01:16:47 AM »

Open up the Errors panel and Console window if there is something that loops an error over there. A looped error message is deadly, even for the high-spec systems.

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 13, 01:47:20 AM »

Open up the Errors panel and Console window if there is something that loops an error over there. A looped error message is deadly, even for the high-spec systems.

Checked and there are nothing that keeps repeating. we have a few errors about a couple of our models redefining Materials but they just occur when first loading into the area with the specific models in the errors

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 13, 06:52:01 AM »

Shadows are enabled by default in fantasy lowlands, but you also have broken art assets in there, which cause performance hits.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 13, 08:32:54 AM »

I'm in fantasy lowlands in your world, and everything is looking normal to me.

I have an older laptop with your specs, but with a 580M card, so a slightly better card, and then a 3 year old MacBook pro. The 580M is getting around 90 FPS and the MacBook Pro around 30. Those are good numbers for running a pretty full zone with shadows enabled, in an editing environment.

Wait, your new laptop is running Vista?

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 13, 09:43:41 AM »

My computer is running Windows 7 64bit and has the following graphics card:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB

In fact below is the link to my computer minus the Refurbished part:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3380780&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CJHTl5Da6rQCFcef4AodFksAeg

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 13, 10:05:33 AM »

yeah, that 620 graphics card is going to hurt you, but those lenova machines also use alot of cheap Chinese parts, but the graphics card has a futuremark score of like 600. I would expect your machine to get about the same performance as my old Macbook Pro does. Many folks get confused about the numbers nVidia uses on their graphics cards. In most situations you're looking at the second two numbers to determine the quality of the card. but futuremark 3d performance scores are an easy way to get rough comparisons.

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Greed Monger - Sandbox MMORPG
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 13, 10:46:20 AM »

I'm running Vista.
This laptop is a brand new Alien Ware Mx17
Did you develop an MMO using Hero? Have chunks of code or systems you'd like to sell? Let me know! We are looking to save time where possible!

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 13, 01:04:57 PM »

I run an Alienware with a Nvidia GPU, and it runs without problem

Looking at a quick google for GTX675M, it's actually a rebranded GTX580M (which is a revised GTX485M).

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+675M

Overall, it looks like the fill rate on the card is a known problem.

Disabling fillrate related features including shadows and HDR will bring the performance up

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy

NC-John

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Nova-Crisis MMORPG
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 13, 10:07:53 AM »

Funny thing for me is, once I shut off shadows from rendering I can run at almost 200 FPS I have been developing this on an I3 with 4 gigs of ram and a Geforce 9500 GT. I have a pretty powerful main machine but I'm purposely developing on the slower one so I can remain with in a reasonable poly budget for scenes and layouts of the world.

I always run my games on very low. I'm not an eye candy guy and i'm more focused on game-play then anything else when I'm developing.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 13, 03:24:04 PM »

my coder has the same low frame rate issue , and also has a GT card . recommend using a GTX card, they have few problems with keeping the frame rate up

hallsofvallhalla

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 13, 06:56:31 PM »

Mine did the same thing for about 2 days then all of a sudden just started running great. I think it has something to do with first download or syncing.  Like it is streaming for a certain amount of time.