HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Terrain Size Inaccurcies  (Read 2669 times)

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
[Resolved] Terrain Size Inaccurcies
« on: Jan 24, 13, 02:20:43 PM »

http://i.imgur.com/erIR9PE.jpg

Why does my properties panel say size 249 by 249, and my Crtl - T says almost double that?

What is the actual size?
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 13, 06:42:16 PM by HE-Cooper »
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Terrain Size Inaccurcies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 13, 02:22:58 PM »

Because the heightmap properties is in vertices, and the CTRL T overlay is in meters. You'll notice that the one is twice the other, and this is because heightmap pole distance is 2 meters. :-)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 13, 02:31:59 PM »

And just a side note, don't make single heightmaps that large, it will prevent them from pretty much being occluded or LODing, ever. Unless you have a good reason, or a lot of experience, I wouldn't make individual heightmap nodes larger than 64 by 64.

Keep in mind, this is no way limits the size of your playspace and the total amount of heightmaps you have. If you were going to put 1000 meters of playspace in a single area, then you would use a number of heightmap nodes. Just like if you were making a mile long brick wall in your game, you wouldn't model a single mile long asset, you would use 100 wall pieces and place them next to each other, so that your player's client only has to render the walls it's looking at.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 13, 04:42:34 PM »

ok, so you mean don't merge my 64 sized ones into a large 250 sized one, leaving it as the multple pieces totaling the 500 meters in one area?

Warded

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 13, 08:02:46 PM »

ok, so you mean don't merge my 64 sized ones into a large 250 sized one, leaving it as the multple pieces totaling the 500 meters in one area?
That would be correct. Basically if you make it 500x500 and use the 64x64 setting, you shouldn't need to adjust anything afterwords.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 13, 08:51:28 PM »

yes you want the smaller chunks so the occluder can hide things that aren't in the players sight. if you have a mountain in front of you all the smaller chunks behind it don't have to be rendered, to the client. If however that mountain is all the same chunk as everything behind it, that whole area is still send to the client.

Think of it like a house, the house has 3,000 square feet of space, but you have room each 15 ft by 15 ft.
When you are in the bedroom only the bedroom and the hallway need to be loaded into your vision. Rest of the house isn't loaded into your vision.

Same thing with heightmaps.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 13, 10:02:32 PM »

ok :)

As of now the plan was 500 by 500 (exported from WM as 250 by 250 and appear as 500M in Hero), and use over 400 pieces in 400 different areas.