HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Multi track animations  (Read 3639 times)

SteveCrow

• Developer
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Multi track animations
« on: Jan 18, 13, 06:55:40 PM »

Im using Maya. I have several fbx files that I need to export into Hero format. Can Hero support through code all these separate animations or does it have to be a single track animation file?  Please help...  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 13, 03:21:36 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Multi track animations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 13, 10:32:22 AM »

Have you checked out the wiki for animation setup and export? Here's a good place to start:

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Animating_Characters_Tutorial

Exporting Animation
Export using the *Animation (VDA) setting on the HeroBlade exporter
Hide any unwanted objects/helpers, or additional parts in the background before export
Any additional rigging components (helpers), do not need to be exported.
Export unhidden(3ds Max) / Export Visible(Maya) is the most common way to export animation
Exporting animation exports the animation based on the visible workspace and in the timeline.
Therefore, you can keep multiple animations in the same file by just having them on different parts of the time line. This just helps out with file management and is up to you to decide if you want to do this or not.
Our artists typically keep sets of animations together in one file:
Normal idles
Combat idles
Walks, runs, and locomotion
Attacks
Turns
Combat turns
Specialty cases
Anything that gets additional or alternate rigging will get its own file as well.

SteveCrow

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [] Multi track animations
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 13, 03:32:00 PM »

Hey Cooper I think you have misunderstood what im asking. I have characters that are split into several .fbx files. Each file contains one animation sequence. Im asking if I have to take all of these files and make one animation or can I import each one into hero and through script be able to play these animations? 

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 13, 03:44:32 PM »

Have you gone through the animation import process? I think that paragraph above answers your question. You can have animations in separate files, or in the same file, but I could still be misunderstanding what you're asking.

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 13, 10:06:59 PM »

Yes you can export the separate files and they work individually with HE. Best practice though is to combine all of your like animations into one maya/max file and export them out only viewing the frames you need. Also there is the animation batch exporter too which I haven't tried yet.

Make sure you use the handy exporter functions on your character to have it create the SRB and even make all the folders etc for you because that will also setup temp .DAT files, a 'temp' idle from your characters pose, and also a .ASQ for that idle.

---

On the other hand you said you have characterS that are split into several animations. If these different characters have different bone names etc, you probably won't be able to share a Skeleton. But that's a whole other story :)

brainache

• World Owner
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Multi track animations
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 13, 06:13:29 AM »

I use the batch animation export - works perfect... setup your animations in the animation editor...  export them all

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Multi track animations
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 13, 09:46:05 AM »

Brainache, the animation editor tool is not included in the Maya tools as it was originally a disused internal-only tool.  I've since updated it to work correctly with newer versions of Max, but time hasn't been kind in allowing for a Maya version.