HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Can't Find information on adding my Own GUI  (Read 3040 times)

DemonAgeOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Can't Find information on adding my Own GUI
« on: Jan 27, 13, 01:40:58 AM »

So... basicly the title says it all.

I am looking for information/help on implementing my own art for GUI's my own buttons etc, etc. Any help at all or links to anywhere I can find information on this would be most appreciated

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Can't Find information on adding my Own GUI
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 13, 04:01:49 AM »

You have looked at the HeroWiki, yes?  A wealth of info there.  Search "GUI" and "GUI tutorial".
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

DemonAgeOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 13, 05:00:33 PM »

Yes, I have looked at the GUI tutorials and information on the WIKI and I dont seem to see my answer in any depth. I want to know when adding my own Buttons, titlebars, exit button, scroll and all that stuff or do I have to animate it out side of HeroScript in say ActionScript 3/flash, then import it into HeroEngine or is there a program for making buttons that have mouse Over/down animations etc, in heroengine

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 13, 06:38:06 PM »

Did you start with the GUI window tutorial and then go from there? You would not be "importing" any flash. There are lots of pages on specific GUI work that fan out from those first tutorials and editors on the wiki.

Are you looking to learn how to do a mouse over state or animate a button? It's probably more productive to ask specific questions that folks can point you to answers for.

DemonAgeOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 13, 03:18:37 AM »

I must have read over something, I'll have another read through GUI information and get back to you guys if I need naymore help.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 13, 03:37:41 AM »

Almost any picture saved in a dds format might work. It is then sent to the repository to be used. Look for other pictures there with a name you saw from loading in pics for the texture of any GUI.

When you make a gui, in the properties panel is a field for textures. It is near the top in appearance section. Click the value/name that is there, which will display the small box with ... on it. Click this to open the texture viewer window. Click on the open envelope, add/change texture file. In there is a list of the files you need to look for in the repository. That is where you want to add in your pics in .dds format. CleanEngineGUI.dds is an example from that section.

When the picture comes up in the window, click ok to use those pictures. Then in the texture viewer, draw a square around the picture you want to use, starting from the upper left, going to the bottom right. In the properties panel on the bottom, the defaultPresentation is the area for lining up the picture. You need the size and offsets, and can adjust them as needed. For buttons and other things, you will need to also set up the hoverPresentation. In this way you can have different pictures for when you hover or select the button. Or you can just use the same values as default and keep the same image.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 13, 06:26:51 AM »

For animations, see here:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/GUI_Animations

It all operates through scripts, centralized in the GUIAnimation script.

GUI images do not strictly need to be dds, but if they are, they need to use DXT3 compression.  Other compressions will not work for GUI textures.  Otherwise the PNG works, and possibly others though I have not tried.

Note that for images used as model textures, they do need to be dds and in that case the compression must be either DXT1 or DXT5.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

DemonAgeOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 13, 05:40:25 PM »

@Thazager  Thanks, alot :) That was exactly what I was wanting to find out.