HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rise of Heroes: Online Prototype World  (Read 4272 times)

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Rise of Heroes: Online Prototype World
« on: May 23, 11, 12:53:38 AM »

We still have a lot to do but here is a early glimpse of our world for our Prototype. We are using assets from Hero's Journey for our Prototype. There is still a lot of world building as well as a ton of scripting left to do before we are finished with our Prototype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJH84i35zzk

James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

Rise of Heroes: Online
- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

Taschenmogul

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Heroes: Online Prototype World
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 11, 01:47:45 PM »

So, no comments yet, hm?
Well, Iīve watched your video and... honestly I donīt really understand what of the things shown already belongs to your game?
As you said, all the assets still were HJ democontent.
Or perhaps I just havenīt spotted your selfmade content, so perhaps you could elaborate a bit what we see in the video?
For example - if the assets are democontent, will you directly replace them with your own buildings and objects, or will you redesign the level?

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 11, 02:15:16 PM »

We are making 2 different Worlds... Our Prototype world will be done using assets from Hero's Journey. We want to concentrate more on coding and building a solid Foundation code wise rather then spend a lot of time on content. The Prototype will be used to try and obtain funding. The Prototype will contain the features of a generic MMORPG But it will be as feature complete and Bug free as possible. Once We are in talks with potential Investors we will start to expand our team. At that point we will start creating our own Assets and once Funding is obtained we will prob. even out source some of our art asset needs. We will start to design our Game World and start adding in our own features and then about 6 months to a year after we obtain funding we will go live.

The Video was created just to add something to our Help wanted post on Gamedev.net it shows parts of the world that I have designed... I also wanted something more to add to our website.
James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

Taschenmogul

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 11, 04:33:49 PM »

Doesnīt seem like a bad idea to go for concrete technical design first, though as a newbie I canīt judge that appropriately.
Iīm unsure though if presenting practically recognizable generic content in your own videos is a good idea if they donīt already show, say, a custom GUI a custom skill system, or something like that?

LuisTorralva

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 11, 12:53:55 AM »

Yup,
I will have to agree with Tash,

just as a constructive criticism , In my opinion I know it is not impossible but it is hard to do a prototype with current HJ assets and existing gui and spell abilities  that comes shipped with the demo.

the deal for instance,  if I was a game company  investor who is scouting for a game to invest in, and already seen and used the current HJ demo that comes shipped with any clean engine account and seeing your video and pics, then to be honest, to me it will look pretty much the same as the demo, I dont see nothing new there, no new abilities art, a storyline etc....

prototypes are hard to do, since it will need to be something that will stand up from all current demos, something that will get investors attention.

so I guess like Tash said, maybe a little bit of new area lvl design with new custom assets, perhaps a new char selection gui and or character creation process then a very small area, with custom assets and new redesign gui will have better chances.

anyways, dont want to be nosy or rude, but wanted to just give my honest opinion and wishing you the best in your project.

regards

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 11, 04:12:17 AM »

In my opinion, I don't see a prototype as the same as a demo.  If you are trying to attract an investor, it is ostensibly before production has begun in earnest.  You simply need to show them the potential of what it can become once it goes into full production.  At car shows, the concept cars are often times not street-legal and may not even be drivable. They are simply concepts to show potential, not something you could actually take for a test drive.  So it is with a prototype; it would be part of an overall presentation that includes the design doc, art concepts, market research results, etc.

A demo would be a demonstration of the current status of a product already in development, and so should show any original assets included thusfar.

So I think it would be understandable to an investor that the prototype would have placeholders and stand-ins, provided that it clearly shows the potential of the product in terms of gameplay.  An investor might not necessarily be familiar with the engine and so can be introduced to it; you should be sure to show off any features of the engine you plan to use where possible.  The other materials can serve to show the art direction, features, story, etc.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 11, 04:15:33 AM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Taschenmogul

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 11, 01:20:06 PM »

I too donīt want to sound rude or arrogant or something, but I definitely see that there is a big difference between presenting a concept car and presenting what you have presented.
A concept car is designed for a specific purpose, may it be to show off how cool the cars can be that you are able to produce, may it be to give some contribution to a topic like, say, energyefficiency or something.
Thing is that there is a lot of work put in this one concept car, that there is a lot of energy put into itīs design.
Itīs not simply about "look what we are technically able to do" but rather "look what ingenious ideas and vision we have".

Now what you show here is rather the potential of the engine, not the potential of your idea or vision.
Thing is that, especially with HeroEngineīs upcoming business model of giving practically anybody the same set of tools, the technical potential of the engine is shared by many game projects.
So the technical potential of HE is not what will set you apart from other projects and thus there should be other things that you can present that make your project special.

So what Iīm saying is not "Donīt show them what the engine is capable of!"; I like the idea of explicitly showing those features that you are planning to use heavily in your game.
Rather Iīm suggesting to concentrate more on these "other materials" that "can serve to show the art direction, features, story, etc." (like you said), because that will most likely be what will set your project apart from other projects.

Regard

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 11, 09:07:03 AM »

Here are a couple of New videos...

This first one is a time lapse showing the terra-forming of our Starting City Putter Bay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpCenANRHc

and here is the 2nd one showing our custom Dialog and Quest systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3wexnpQYU
James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 11, 08:10:22 PM »

I think it's more than fine if you are using existing content to create a prototype. Concentrating on your functionality which seems to be your strength is a good thing. The art can come later. I have the opposite problem where I am concentrating on the art right now as programmers ramp up on all the HE scripting.

The screenshots were interesting for me to see how you re-used some of the existing HJ art assets. I did really like your last video showing your GUI work. We seem to have an issue getting to the GUI and being able to access it. If you have any tips/tricks PM me. 

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 11, 08:55:55 PM »

I can't really talk much about RoH at this time... We had a little internal problem a couple days ago and since then the entire team is under NDA. Even though RoH was my idea and Once MMO Interactive is Registered I will own 50% of the company I must still follow the NDA.

However even though I am limited in what I can share I can say things are progressing at a quick pace. A lot is going on with in MMO Interactive both from the Stand point of RoH and from the Business Stand point. We are looking into Registering MMO Interactive so we will be an official Company and we are gearing up for a Publicity Tour in August of different Game Conventions including hopefully PAX West. I won't be able to attend Pax West but we will have a small group from our team including Joel who is Our Business Manager, Jesse who is our Design Department Lead and Former Employee at Sony, Mike our Self Appointed PR Rep. and Appointed Game Systems Designer.

I haven't talked much about our team but as of today, Friday June 17th 2011, Our team consists of 22 members from around the world. Our Team Experience ranges from Professionals in the Industry to those with little or no experience but who have a passion for what they do and would like to break into the Industry.

Members on our team who have Industry Experience have worked on the following titles:
Uncharted
Resistance
Ratchet
Just to name a few of the many Commercial Releases

Those members who have industry experience also bring with them different Industry Contacts including contacts with SOE and others.

Joel and Myself are very fortunate to have put together the kind of team we have today and we hope over the coming months we will be able to share a lot more information about RoH and our Company MMO Interactive.
James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

Draken

• General Accounts
  • "Gamers Imagine"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 11, 04:56:56 AM »

If you have that kind of experience I am sure you should have models by now and are they wanting paid, surely they would if once working on exclusive titles as those.

If not then it would seem a bit odd having 20+ and this is all you've done game side with that kind of talent, just would like somethings cleared up because it all sounds shady to me.

Jade1977

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 11, 06:14:30 AM »

Josh the team I am apart of has around 30 active people working on our project, all unpaid I will also add.
A lot of the team are a mix of amatures and professionals who also have normal everyday jobs.
I am for example lead of the art team within our project, I have 9 3D artists, 7 world builders, 1 texture artist and 4 concept artists (soon to be 5).

Thats just my team within the project, all unpaid and working hard ;)
Dont get me wrong they all have real lives with families and jobs, so I am only recieving around 10 assets a week. But for an indie company that isn't bad at all I am sure you will agree.

So if the original poster says he has 20+ people on his team I have no problems not believing him. :)
Lee Perkins
Art Director
Forsaken Studios

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 11, 01:10:35 PM »

Like Jade said alot of us have day jobs, Some of us are in college and up to a week or so ago had College finals and projects and things due. We had been having problems getting modelers. We now have 3 Environment Modelers who are busy getting Models created and we just this weekend got a Character Modeler who is working on a base Model for our Avatars. Most of our work until just recently has gone into Design and Programming. We have a 53+ page Design Document and I have started working on a Business Plan.

Everyone is working as Volunteers for the time being. Everyone will be getting paid a small amount but enough to live on once we obtain funding and everyone will be getting a percentage of what we make off of the game. Everyone is perfectly happy with that so frankly it's really none of any one's Business what we pay if your not on the team!
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 11, 01:14:34 PM by jamespro »
James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

jamespro

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 11, 01:30:46 PM »

It's also been less then a month from when I posted the first post about RoH on here to today. You really expect us to have a whole lot more done in less then a month when just learning HeroScript and HeroBlade can take 6 month to a year (those are the figures I have heard floating around on the net about the huge learning curve associated with the HeroEngine)? We have gone from pretty much just a game name to a full Game Design, Back Story, Conflicts with in the world, tons of Concept art, and a good solid Team in just about a months time. I would say that's pretty impressive and if you ask any member of our team they would agree...
James E. Proctor

MMOInteractive
- Company Owner -

- Project Lead -
- Lead Programmer -

Ashtefere

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 11, 08:00:29 PM »

Respectfully, I dont think one month is enough to do a full game design document. Our's, for example has been going on for more than a year, and we still have large gaping holes needing to be filled in.

With game design of this scale (mmorpg) you need to think, trial, test and experiment with every tiny little thing on paper. When you think of something, imagine yourself playing it and try to envision how it works.

Once that is done, you should use some kind of rapid prototyping method (hero doesnt count) and test each system out individually. Once you have more than 50% of the GDA doc done (should be hundreds, of not thousands of pages of content) you can then assign pieces to your team and start work on it.

Planning, planning and more planning is the only way you will get something the magnitude of an MMO completed. If ever you get to a point where you say "what do I do next?" or "I need to invent something for X" then you are doing it wrong.

It isnt just for your benefit either - the GDA doc is there for your entire team to reference - it is written down in clear detail with instructions on how they have to code/build/write/design/model for their own parts and takes some of the load off from the team leads.

A great system for a GDA doc is a google docs collection, as you have version history, discussion, chat, etc.

My team also have all got day jobs. Most of those day jobs are actually doing commerical game development, and due to the varying crunch times on their projects they go away for months at a time sometimes.

I guess the golden rule is, slow and steady wins the race, and pre-document and test everything before jumping into hero engine like a charging bull.

-Jon
Pages: [1] 2