HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] WhiteBox Export  (Read 1140 times)

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
[Resolved] WhiteBox Export
« on: Dec 09, 12, 07:03:46 PM »

Is it possible to export a whitebox? The reason is because you can whitebox a building with the dimensions you want according to your scene and export that as say an OBJ to give to your artist (or yourself).

I have these curbs that I would like to whitebox and get them the size I need them, and then get the sizing off of them for recreating them in max.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 13, 03:53:56 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: WhiteBox Export
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 12, 08:31:05 AM »

We don't have an export/converter that would automagically take scaling of assets and the like into account, but you  could most likely whip up a script that would export that data and then read the data into a Max scene.

We have an automatic heightmap > obj exporter, and we have an external HGM > obj converter (mainly just for use with Facegen).

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: WhiteBox Export
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 12, 08:36:11 AM »

Ok, who's gonna write this script Cooper is talking about!?!?!   ;D

Cryengine3 has the ability to export its 'solids' for artists so that's why I was thinking of it. It makes it really useful to get a quick obj out of the engine all sized the way you want it without having to think. Thinking hurts me.

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: [Resolved] WhiteBox Export
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 13, 11:19:31 AM »

Can the exporting of WhiteBox's be included in one of the future HE builds? Something like this scene where I would use the OBJ export as a nice scale import into Max/Maya would be awesome. The OBJ export can also be handed off to other artists which would be incredibly handy.

Adding the exporting of WhiteBox's would make them way more useful than they are now. Very cool addition though with Sapphire.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 13, 11:21:05 AM by grogbro »

StadiThompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 13, 11:41:56 AM »

The feature was in HeroEngine1 but was stripped out when HGM format was introduced. I to would like to see export to OBJ return. much needed.

Ascend2Crux

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Ascend 2 Crux
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 13, 12:50:33 PM »

Agreed this would indeed come in handy when using white boxes as place holders for scale.
Ascend 2 Crux where everything is player made.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 13, 12:56:12 PM »

I'll further add to the want list, for my artists, / world builders who use whitebox for placeholders, if they could export those as items to be worked on, my modelers could get the dimensions exact for the position in the world builder.

but have basically figured out that the default character in HE is 200cm high in maya. I can go from there to approximate. Another thing I do is make basic height references, IE I have a dummy model I use in maya that is the same as the default character.

Then I can scale everything right in maya as I need / want.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 13, 01:03:31 PM »

yeah, that last point is a bad idea. You end up with 5 different world builders liking slightly different scales, and then sending all these random numbers back at the artist. Stick with uniform scale concepts, and use the whiteboxes to rough out space and gameplay.

I'm not saying there isn't a useful tool in area asset export, like how Stadi has continually asked us to put back in, :-), but I wouldn't use it for all of the methodologies outlined here.