HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] seamless links being forgotten  (Read 823 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
[Resolved] seamless links being forgotten
« on: Jan 27, 13, 04:14:50 AM »

last night the area i was working on had 3 seamless links , this morning it has one. im the only person to have used the world in this period , and it had shut down overnight.

we also have lost sections of height maps in the last few days , but i still havent reproduced this without the slim possibility someone was silly and deleted it
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 13, 06:43:02 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: seamless links being forgotten
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 13, 10:16:25 AM »

90 percent of the time, this is due to another developer making changes without you realizing. 5 percent of he time its because of editing a play instance, and 5 percent of the time it's because the work you did never made it up to the server, for whatever reason, slow upstream, packet loss, hurricanes, being far from the geographical location of the server cluster.

If you find it happening to you, you can ensure the area changes have been written to the server by forcing the day files to write. The option is in the server menu on the tool bar. C

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Re: [Resolved] seamless links being forgotten
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 13, 01:53:02 AM »

so thats the "live update" or "force update of dat files" or "force update of dirty dat files" , can you expalin the differences to me

also i had been on and off the server all day , only when it had shutdown and restarted did the problem occur , its happened before but this is the only time i can confirm it was not my team (there are only 3 of us working on the project)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 13, 02:06:32 AM »

also dont be so fast to make something resolved , if the editor is loosing information like that its a problem , like floating npc that we are bringing to your attention. No it doesn't effect worlds massively that are not production worlds but its a bit annoying when you find your work un-done the next time the server boots. Your answer basically says its my fault , when i am be fairly sure its not, that the live editor "didnt save" automatically , when its supposed to reflect changes instantly across the server without the need to hit a "save" button , especially one thats not marked "save" and without telling anyone that its in best practice to do so.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 13, 08:42:09 AM »

I mark threads as resolved that we the development team don't need to respond to any longer. You are welcome to continue to post in it. If you have a reproduction step for any issue, that always helps as well, but an issue like "things I do don't save" would obviously be of epic problem level if that were in fact the case. But the sporadic report is due to the options I outlined above.

If you have a very weak or intermittent internet connection, then it's possible, in very few circumstances, that if you made a rapid number of changes, and then closed the blade, that those changes would not have been sent to the server. I don't believe that's what's happening to you, but if it is, you can do the paranoid "write all dirty dat files" option, as a catch all before you exit the area or close the blade.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 13, 09:28:42 AM »

thankyou for at least telling me the command this time - however this was not "just done" i had logged in and out several times before allowing the server to sleep , which is when it appears to have forgotten them. the offsets where still correct when i reloaded the links , so it remembered some of the data?

my connection is 100mb fiber connection so we can count that out

other changes made to the blade persisted , and it did not undo all the links.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 13, 09:52:31 AM »

I pointed you to where the dat file write out options were the first time. No need to get snippy. :-) you can force update all dat files, or choose to just force update the dirty ones. The world is your oyster.