HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Importing .r16 terrain from Worldmachine  (Read 3573 times)

Iolorin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Importing .r16 terrain from Worldmachine
« on: Jan 29, 13, 03:03:14 PM »

Hi,
I'm trying to import terrain using the .r16 file format, but I'm getting the following error: "Error - heightmap import extension 'Raw Importer' failed to load data from file". I'm importing through the import button on the Terrain Panel.
FYI, the Leveller format imports without issue.
How can I fix this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 13, 10:09:07 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Importing .r16 terrain from Worldmachine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 13, 04:22:24 PM »

That means the file format isn't including the correct data we need to import it. Have you tried the other raw formats your world building tool can export?

yummybrainz

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 13, 06:00:21 PM »

Hello,

I am trying to import an r16 file from WM as well.  Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do this?  I did a search in the forums and did not find any good examples of how this is done.  I've added the file to my repository but not exactly sure on where you add it as a terrain.

Thanks,

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 13, 07:00:35 PM »

Just open the import tab in the terrain panel, and navigate to the terrain file on your local. No need to upload to the repo.

Iolorin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 13, 09:43:14 PM »

Thanks Cooper. I was able to import using the generic RAW extension but not the .r16.

bytedisorder

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 13, 01:18:08 AM »

When I import the maps generated are ridiculously huge. even a km map is producing hundreds of 256x256 meter heightmaps which does not make sense and the vertical scale seems to be limited to 128 meters on import is there something I am missing here?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 13, 07:42:52 AM »

Sounds like you need to adjust your horizontal scale in whatever tool you are using. Also, you would never want to cover hundreds of meters of vertical scale heightmap in a single area. Once you get used to world building, especially in a server based game, you'll get a feel for it.

bytedisorder

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Importing .r16 terrain from Worldmachine
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 13, 10:11:49 AM »

I am using world machine, I tiled the export and I'm going to try that. However my issue with the vertical scale is that if I make a heightmap with elevations of 2,000m 10km by 10km the chunks with high point lose the fine details if they are scaled down 10 times is that import scale in meters?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 13, 10:17:24 AM »

You don't want to make a map of 10k by 10k with an elevation of 2000 meters. That's the first problem. It's a common question for new developers and we have a number of responses on it on the forums, but there just aren't games, and has never been an online game with 2000 meters of vertical span. But even more so, think about what an area is. An area is a single unit of server simulation.

It's a common instinct to want to press a button and have a giant world laid out in front of you, but you don't want to do that. You have to think about gameplay spaces, where heavy and light traffic is, what a player will actually see, paths from point of interest to point of interest, etc. Until you've implemented major game systems, you don't want to implement anything more than a handful of areas, as you'll find yourself having to completely rethink how you lay our your game along the way.

bytedisorder

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 13, 08:59:24 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the help and guiding words. I didnt mean put 10km by 10km by 2000m in one area. I do intent to use Seamless 2.0 and I was chunking all of my height maps down for 256m by 256m per area.

Thanks for the good advice on importing successfully from world machine.

I am still getting into the game mechanics, as its only been a few days and I am a one man show on this game at this point.

SOULSSAGA

• World Owners
  • THE SOULS SAGA - HERO JOURNEY ADMIN
    • View Profile
    • SOULS SAGA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 13, 10:53:22 PM »

Wenever yoU Still needing "Phisical" help There With your Terrains. Contact us at SOulsSaga@Gmail.com.
And send us your files. From Time to Time We do Custom Proper dedicated Helping ,
/ With STep by Step "Video Screen Recording"  In all we can for all our Production Collaborators/Partners.

CHEERS !

SILVA DINIS
SOULS STUDIO

THE SOULS SHINE ONLINE | OPEN DEVELOPMENT INTERACTIVE UNIVERSE | http://WWW.SOULSSAGA.ORG/3DDEV