HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Need Height Map Importer/Linker  (Read 4066 times)

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Greed Monger - Sandbox MMORPG
Need Height Map Importer/Linker
« on: Jan 30, 13, 12:04:10 PM »

I need one or two people who can import 1,024 Height Maps and then Link them together seamlessly.

Please Skype me immediately:
 jasonappleton77

Did you develop an MMO using Hero? Have chunks of code or systems you'd like to sell? Let me know! We are looking to save time where possible!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Need Height Map Importer/Linker
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 13, 12:12:19 PM »

It's actually a relatively simple process to write an importer to do this. I know of at least 4 or 5 groups that have a pipeline in place to do similar things.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 13, 12:38:45 PM »

can someone make a tutorial plz?

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 13, 12:42:02 PM »

That would be great!

Did you develop an MMO using Hero? Have chunks of code or systems you'd like to sell? Let me know! We are looking to save time where possible!

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 13, 09:55:04 PM »

Hey Cooper,
 I found this post:

Our programmer created a series of scripts that breaks up a large heightmap into small areas, moves them to the areas, and seamlessly links them, takes 20 minutes to do a 4km area, not weeks. Also you can use HALF or QUARTER terrain resolution, making a smaller 256 area quadruple in size, HALF resolution still looks nice and uses the same amount of resources.

But the guy who posted this (Stadi_Thompson) hasn't been online since December. I'd REALLY like to get my hands on something like this if you have any idea where to look.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 13, 11:36:04 PM »

stadi is online about everyday, atleast he was a week ago.
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 13, 07:10:22 AM »

Just ask your engineers to write you an import pipeline. I suspect the easiest path would use the HE extension interface to import the data, and then use the functions in the blade to create areas and place the external Heightmaps and them seamlessly link the areas.

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 13, 07:19:43 AM »

I'm the only Programmer we have right now. I've never done anything with this sort of stuff before. I do have access to the code from The Repopulation's Seamless importer. Problem with that is that it's designed for 2km x 2km heightmaps which ours aren't setup that way. I can see about having our world builders export the world in chunks of that size though.

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 13, 09:21:35 AM »

I'm trying to find more Hero programmers but there don't seem to be many available or looking for work right now....

These kinds of pipelines and scripts would be very useful in some form of Asset Store offered by Hero. It was a major luxury to have something like this in Unity and I'm sure they make a fortune off of that system.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 13, 09:23:59 AM by ElectricCrow »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 13, 09:32:06 AM »

Every HeroEngine programmer is either working on a project, or working at heroengine. you aren't looking for a HeroEngine programmer, you're looking for smart capable programmers in any language, which is an almost impossible task for indie developers.

I can assure you that you don't need an automatic heightmap 1000 mile grid up system, and that using one will probably shoot you in the foot. Unity makes single player games. HeroEngine areas are units of server simulation, and you need to think about how you are going to lay them out, focus gameplay, build systems.

World building is the easy part, engineering a game is the hard part. New developers just feel like they can get started buliding 1000 miles of terrain on day one, but you should spend six months tweaking and polishing small areas, figuring out exactly what your art style and terrain style is, what your fog and culling distances will be, how many assets will you be able to show in a standard scene. Only then should you actually go into full production on creating areas.

ElectricCrow

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 13, 09:47:07 AM »

I can find programmers, and have some senior level programmers but they don't know Hero Scripting and I can't afford to pay these guys to learn on the job. James is a programmer and knows Hero but he's also swamped as it is until I find others.

I'm going to post some ads on some development/programmer sites and see what I can come up with.

Our game isn't like other MMO's as its simply an open world full of resources and the systems players will use to build their cities and such themselves.

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 13, 10:51:21 AM »

Thanks Cooper for your insights. Greed Monger was in development long before we came to Hero. We had been using Unity3D prior but because of potential EULA issues with Unity and issues we were having with Server side Seamless transitions between Areas we decided that Hero was the best choice to move us forward.

We have gone over the math multiple times in figuring out the best size for our world. It's not that we are a brand new team and just looking to create the largest world possible. There are reasons and goals that we have for Greed Monger that require us to have the size world we have chosen to have.

Our game is based around Parcels of land, that will be non-instanced, that players will be able to buy in order to build their homes (Also non-instanced), Farm, build a shop, ect. We are figuring on having 6,000 player own-able parcels at launch. 3,000 of those 6,000 are already accounted for by different people. The 6,000 parcels will be 1/4th of the total land mass of the world which leaves plenty of room for PvE and resource collection. Each Parcel is 40meters by 40meters large enough for a small house and some farming. 

So based on these the size of our world needs to be large in order to include everything we have set out to do.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 13, 11:13:33 AM »

You are welcome to make a game that's 1000000 miles large. I'm just giving you the advice that it's a dangerous path to think you are going to get your content pipeline right the first time, without seeing what works, what doesn't, what looks good, what your artists talents are, etc. Prototype and play is the key to success. Get things working at the small scale, at the vertical slice scale, then expand horizontally. But that's just my advice. I do have some experience in these matters, and 90 percent of online games, even done by experienced professional teams, never make it out the door.

But like I said, you could write an importer easily to do it. :-)

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 13, 04:43:45 PM »

Ok so I installed the Terrain Import pipeline that was created for the Repopulation. it requires 2kmx2km heightmaps. We had our heightmaps setup in 500m by 500m chunks and our world was broken up in a 32x32 grid. The Terrain importer creates a 4x4 grid that it then breaks the 2kmx2km heightmap up into.

No my problem is this... We increased our heightmaps to 2kmby2km chunks and a grid of 8x8. When we had it setup with a 500x500 meter chunks we used a tile resolution of 250x250 since if we used 500x500 it was coming out twice as big as we wanted it. so we figured make everything 4 times the size for 2km chunks. We increased the tile resolution to 1,000x1,000. Once it was all imported and linked however it was only half the size we needed it to be in order to fill up the full 4x4 grid. We increased the tile resolution to 2,000by2,000 and now it seems HUGE though it fills up the full 4x4 grid.

To get a true 2kmx2km area from World Machine what should the actual settings be for tile resolution?

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 13, 06:21:50 PM »

I think you need to merge/regrid it to 32 or 64 (one of the two).  You can adjust that code to split it and pull whoever many height-maps that are needed, it is just using those arbitrary values because we set it up that way.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation