HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: The 3000 person Even Online Fight  (Read 1450 times)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
The 3000 person Even Online Fight
« on: Jan 30, 13, 01:57:34 PM »

I actually hold a special place in my heart for Eve, played it for a decent couple of years, and still get a thrill of thinking of 0 security space. They had to introduce a "slow down the server" feature in order to support large scale battles, was a smart move.

In order to deal with the 3000 people in a single zone, they made the call to disconnect everyone else on the cluster. I'm not sure I'm okay with that as a paying player. I don't actually currently subscribe, but don't you think you'd be pretty annoyed?

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/01/29/2157234/how-eve-online-dealt-with-a-3000-player-battle

OblivionMMO

• General Accounts
  • Hey all, How do I....
    • View Profile
    • Oblivion Entertainment
Re: The 3000 person Even Online Fight
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 13, 04:19:36 PM »

I was one system out on my Caldari toon that stays in Jita trying to get there when they did that.  I got DCed and couldnt reconnect to go try to nab loot from the dead Titans :(

So Sad.  It's a terrible solution :(
Joshua Clay - Owner
Oblivion Entertainment
http://oblivionent.com

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Re: The 3000 person Even Online Fight
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 13, 04:35:12 PM »

if those 3000 made up your major customer base (because they all have 4 alt accounts and they buy 40 time cards a month) then do you do everything to keep them happy?

also the time dilation system was directly backed by goonfleet , who in turn have the player council sown and a ex ceo working at ccp as a game play adviser

Just how corrupt you make you system to keep the people paying the bills happy is a difficult balance , the wrong choice can kill a game