HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] New problem..  (Read 3186 times)

Thierry

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] New problem..
« on: Feb 02, 13, 07:04:09 AM »

Hi Community
Again, im having some trouble with Heroblade.. (No its not karma, lol.)
I cant use all my area's.. Just one black screen. Sometimes, my character is there too, but just in a empty space. I cant walk too.

It happens also when i create a new area. I cant walk when the area is loaded good, when i try to re-enter it, just one black hole with a character in it..

I think im getting almost famous with my problems..
Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 13, 10:10:00 AM by HE-Cooper »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: New problem..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 13, 10:11:24 AM »

probably just entering the world far off from your land mass. Try clicking on assets tab, then look for height map and right click on it and say goto, might have to say goto 2 times, but it should teleport you to that area, then use the camera to fly around a bit, and make sure the camera collision is off. Should be able to find your land then drop into it.

Another piece of advice is create an arrival point on all of your maps, it can just be a place holder arrival point, but helps when jumping between maps to ensure you always land on your terrain.

If you don't have terrain under you and you are in game mode it won't move your character at all, just locks you in place with the default controller.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 13, 10:56:08 AM »

Theirry, you are running into a lot of problems which are a result of you modifying default scripts, and following the scripting tutorials. All of that is commendable, seeing that you are 12 years old, but you might want to be documenting exactly what you're doing, so that you can undo it when it breaks things in your world.

It sounds like you've made changes to the character controller. I see a number of errors in your world. I suspect you are entering areas and not having any rooms selected. You can manually select a room in the area panel room tab.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 13, 07:36:27 PM »

Quote from: HE-Cooper link
Theirry, you are running into a lot of problems which are a result of you modifying default scripts, and following the scripting tutorials. All of that is commendable, seeing that you are 12 years old, but you might want to be documenting exactly what you're doing, so that you can undo it when it breaks things in your world.
Agreed.

We learned that also. Make sure you are able to change back what you have changed to see the effects. Scripts have back ups, and can be fixed. The DOM and the F5 utility will need to be written down for changes you make.

Script back ups are in the history panel, located on top menu under windows.
// is for making comments, they help in saving time for programming. You can copy/paste a line of code, then commant out 1 and change the other. This way you have a in-script back up.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

Thierry

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 13, 08:31:13 AM »

Well, i did nothing yet with the character controlling things. I did not even try! The only thing i did, was try to script in hsl, by following tutorials. I just wanted to learn it. Maybe something in those scripts is not correct, because in the two tutorials i followed from the Developer Created Tutorials,  nothing works with me.

I know i have made a big mess of everything.. How to start over, like someone earlier mentioned on the forum?

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 13, 01:34:57 PM »

Maybe something in those scripts is not correct, because in the two tutorials i followed from the Developer Created Tutorials,  nothing works with me.
No, those tutorials  (how to's) work. They wouldn't cause any problems. 
The news system is just a port from hjref, and the other is just modifying the existing chat system a little.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 13, 07:31:20 PM »

Yes, they help teach about different sections of the HE. Some go into more detail, some show different ways of doing things. Miss one thing on them and you need to go back over and check for something that might have got missed. (its like taking a test, then verifying it all before you turn it in, then find out you still missed a few)

There is no real way to start over, but there are a few ways to restore things. One way is by writing down your changes, and then going back over them, replacing things to before. Another way (costs more) is by getting a backup engine for copying important info from. Using that method, you want to never change one (its ike the teacher's copy), but just use it for your back ups.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

Thierry

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 13, 08:52:19 AM »

No, those tutorials  (how to's) work. They wouldn't cause any problems. 
The news system is just a port from hjref, and the other is just modifying the existing chat system a little.

I mean, in the code i created.
Maybe it wil help to delete the scripts that could cause the probem?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 13, 11:47:24 AM »

If you have studied programming, you will find working through the code problems can be a learning process. By commmenting out most of it, then line by line uncommenting a little until you find where the error is. Once you isolate the error, you can try different ways of trying to fix it. One way is by using println(). With this you can display info that can help you solve the error. Or you could check the the tutorial for how it was set up.

Sometimes there are more to the tutorials than just the per post. Reading through the other posts will also show some of the parts the tutorial may have quickly passed over, without going nto much detail. Many of the developer tutorials consider that you have spent time reading and learning about the sections of the engine.

example:
println("data = " + dataValue)

This will show up on the console screen.
HSL Video tutorials: