HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Races and Classes  (Read 1916 times)

OblivionMMO

• General Accounts
  • Hey all, How do I....
    • View Profile
    • Oblivion Entertainment
[Resolved] Races and Classes
« on: Feb 06, 13, 02:02:46 PM »

Alright.  I've reached an impasse.  I need advice from people with far more experience than myself.

I'm quite used to MUD coding, and the way MUDs work.  This entire SpecOracle thing is very confusing to me, but I am getting it.  Now on to my question.

What would I gain / lose by attempting to implement my races and classes with the Spec Oracle, instead of hard coding them?  In my MUDs I always created an OLC based editor for such things, for ease of use of my developer, but as the classes and races would only be changing in an expansion, I find that could be ill suited to this environment.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 13, 04:28:21 PM by HE-Cooper »
Joshua Clay - Owner
Oblivion Entertainment
http://oblivionent.com

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Races and Classes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 13, 02:13:48 PM »

The major benefit if you implement them as specs is that expansion of the system requires virtually no effort as anything that knows how to use a particular race/class spec (or the objects they factory)...will just work with a new ones.  The downside is that there are quite a few steps to setting up a spec oracle to start with and that makes the initial effort higher. 

See the "easy" 400+ step setup (no not really 400 steps, but it does take more effort to start).

The nice thing in a data (spec) driven system...even relatively simple concepts like classes might reference ability list specs, which in turn reference ability specs.  They all become tied together in a neat little web with no duplicate data which is easily expanded to support new things that do not require any changes to source (script) code.

If you plan to represent most of your game's data in specs, it probably makes sense purely from a consistently standpoint to also do classes and races that way.

In my opinion, it is generally worth the additional setup effort.  Of course I may be biased because I conceived of and wrote the system. :)
Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

OblivionMMO

• General Accounts
  • Hey all, How do I....
    • View Profile
    • Oblivion Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 13, 02:18:45 PM »

Well lets see what happens then Chris.
:D

I suppose I'll have to figure it out sooner or later right?  Thanks for the advice.
Joshua Clay - Owner
Oblivion Entertainment
http://oblivionent.com

grimcat

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 13, 02:21:17 PM »

See the "easy" 400+ step setup (no not really 400 steps, but it does take more effort to start).

Ha, I appreciate the sense of humor.