HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How to make LODs for HE  (Read 915 times)

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
How to make LODs for HE
« on: Feb 24, 13, 02:04:28 PM »

This is a quickie tutorial on how to make LOD's for Hero Engine. The documentation on this is very short so I had to export several different ways until I figured out what HE actually wanted. A quick How To' on the wiki would be awesome.

I am horrible at making tutorials. Sorry you have to scroll to the screenshot. ;) Typically I would put shots on my server but I might lose them.

1.) Create your lods in max (I am sure maya is very similar). Name them with whatever the item is then add on _LOD_##. For instance my LOD's are named: box_LOD_01, box_LOD_02, box_LOD_03, box_LOD_04. So this means that your original object is named box_LOD_01. (the screenshot cut off my LOD01  ::) )

2.) Center all of your objects to 0/0 on the grid. Clear xforms, make sure your geometry is clean.

3.) Export your objects. With ALL of your LODs showing choose Batch Export Unhidden. Choose a folder where you want to export to. I had Statics/lodtest already made.

4.) Just for giggles I went into the 'lodtest' folder inside Statics and you can see that it combined all objects into a .HGM file called 'box.hgm'. Basically all of your LODs are in that one .HGM file. <<

5.) Go into Hero Blade. Load up the Library and add your object where ever you want. I put mine in props just to test it out.

6.) Place (double click from the library) and view your object in Hero Blade with the sweet American flag on it. "America F* Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!"

7.) Scroll away from your object and it should be pretty apparent that it's switching out. Press Control-T to get some info on the object. Make sure to wiggle your mouse or the control-T tool will not update with new information on your asset (ie, if you keep your mouse still on the object it will not update). Wiggle, it, just, a, little, bit! You know that song....

I hope this helps. I am sure there are other ways of doing this with possibly not naming the first LOD as objectname_LOD_01 and other export options, but this is the best way I've found that worked.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 13, 02:13:13 PM by grogbro »