HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Diffuse and normal Alpha modes  (Read 3939 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Diffuse and normal Alpha modes
« on: Mar 28, 13, 01:35:01 PM »

Yo, so now i know that our textures need to have any glow or specular placed into the alpha channel of the diffuse/normal, does anyone have a tip for doing this quickly with either photoshop or paint.net.

Im a total noob at this, and we need to do this with a hundred or so textures. Id rather do this task myself than ask one of my artists to do it.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Diffuse and normal Alpha modes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 13, 01:56:14 PM »

Well if the specular map is already created it's extremely straightforward to add it into the alpha channel... and glow maps are really pretty much the same.  One of your artists should be able to show you how.

But if you mean tips for creating the specular map?  That's really an artist job and they can probably do it much faster than you, since you say you're new to it.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 13, 03:06:01 PM »

We have the specular and glow maps already made, but they arent in the alpha channel. Any tips for doing this? Thankee in advance

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 13, 03:37:00 PM »

Using Gimp or Photoshop or another?

Usually as easy as copy/pasting in the right spot - a quick search on specular in alpha channel and the program name you're using will probably net you some nice tutorials.

Could also use layer mask as described here: http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?showtopic=12140

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 13, 04:32:48 PM »

I tried putting a glow into the alpha of a diffuse, it just covered/masked the entire diffuse. I need the diffuse to show with the glow "poking" through right. Im probably confusing myself here.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 13, 08:18:48 PM »

Ok i got the specular to work in the alpha of the normal. It shows up ingame as a nice shiney metal overcoat. Still very unsure how to get the glow to work with the diffuse though.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 13, 09:25:25 PM »

Ok i got the specular to work in the alpha of the normal. It shows up ingame as a nice shiney metal overcoat. Still very unsure how to get the glow to work with the diffuse though.

https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,4402.msg24486.html#msg24486

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 13, 09:45:34 PM »

Ah ok, so we should wait for an update before trying to make some glowy textures. I was just really confused as to how the system currently works, with putting the glow in the diffuse normal channel, i just couldnt seem to get it to work.

BTW is there any drawback from making all textures as dxt5? even if it does not contain a spec or glow in its alpha. i was informed that its fine to make EVERY texture a dxt5.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 13, 09:48:21 PM by Prometheus2012 »

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 13, 10:04:58 PM »

You can, but dxt1 will be smaller file size.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 13, 10:22:17 PM »

Yeh i noticed, btw Chrome, do you know the steps to making the glow work within the alpha of the diffuse? I havent been able to get it to work no matter what i try. Any advice would be marveloso, thankee.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 13, 09:14:39 AM »

As per link above, I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, or at least it'll soon have more options.  I've honestly never tried the glow yet, just a few speculars.

On my list of things to test though, just was waiting for the update that opens up a few options.