HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The New Heroengine GUI  (Read 6133 times)

AlderonGames

• World Owners
    • View Profile
The New Heroengine GUI
« on: Mar 18, 13, 03:15:20 AM »

Hi,

I am currently having issues with the new Grey Hero Engine GUI Update.  Some of the windows eg Script Editor and Repo Browser have trouble maximizing. If they do then they are maximized on the primary monitor instead of the monitor they are displayed on.

Sometimes the script editor will even instantly un-maximise itself and it takes many attempts to drag it and get it to work.

TLDR: The new GUI is working terrible for a multi-monitor setup and has issues with Win 7 Aero etc.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: The New Heroengine GUI
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 13, 03:30:19 AM »

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bits) and also have a dual monitor setup; I checked the HSE, and it does maximize on the screen it is on. So far, I have experienced that the HSE lost its maximization twice, thus returning to its original size (on the same window I dragged it on).

Although when un-maximized, double clicking the window-bar or maximize-icon, it just goes back to normal..

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 13, 04:07:40 AM »

I can confirm that i have similar GUI issues. I have dual-monitor and Windows7.
(I also managed to trigger some GUI connected crash)
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 13, 04:10:16 AM by AWW_boss »

AlderonGames

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 13, 04:17:48 AM »

Agreed, For me it has been non-stop issues with the GUI.

I'm really starting to dislike the Windows 95 GUI Setup HE has atm.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 13, 10:08:00 AM »

While using Aero always seems like a terrible idea, I suppose some folks still use it. What specifically is the issue you're talking about with Aero?

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 13, 10:44:03 AM »

We can, and will, investigate the crash reports that were submitted.

However, we use and test with Aero enabled Windows 7 all the time, and unless there is a specific issue you're reporting, it's impossible for us to investigate and resolve it.

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 13, 04:07:17 PM »

Always disable Aero!

Also I have to voice my opinion about the defualt GUI that comes with HE. Why even change this coloring at all? Is there a way I can change it back to the default?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 13, 05:36:54 PM by nocake »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 13, 06:08:54 PM »

Is there a way I can change it back to the default?

Maybe there could be some option to customize it in the future, but obviously that is going to be a very low priority.

I honestly don't know why there have been so many complaints about the looks.  It is a tool and as long as it works properly, the color is a really minor point.  It's been an on-going development, and I think they have been pretty considerate in trying to accommodate feedback, but they aren't going to be able to please everyone, and I think much of the angst is simply that it is different.  But once one adjusts to it, I think it is fine.

Just my two cents.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 13, 07:42:27 PM »

Just my two cents.

The color conversation is definitely a two cent conversation. I really do not have a problem with the color change but I would prefer it as the default colors.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 13, 08:50:48 PM »

Is there a way I can change it back to the default?

Maybe there could be some option to customize it in the future, but obviously that is going to be a very low priority.

I honestly don't know why there have been so many complaints about the looks.  It is a tool and as long as it works properly, the color is a really minor point.  It's been an on-going development, and I think they have been pretty considerate in trying to accommodate feedback, but they aren't going to be able to please everyone, and I think much of the angst is simply that it is different.  But once one adjusts to it, I think it is fine.

Just my two cents.

It has gotten progressive better since December, glad some time was taken to clean up the icons as I can tell what most of the buttons in the terrain panel are now and the scripting window is better now.  After awhile they all could be A/B/C and through repetition you will learn them, but will be much better for new users to identify what they are compared to a few months ago.  All in all, up to par with what it was before now IMO.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 13, 01:16:19 AM »

Try to reproduce this if you can:

I have setup that auto hides the bottom windows7 taskbar. When i bring the mouse to the bottom of the screen the windows7 taskbar should unhide. The problem is that when Heroblade has focus, windows7 taskbar no longer unhides, but i need to press the Windows Start button to unhide it.

I have no idea what Aero is btw, i use window7 installation out of the box.

So far i don't have specific repro step for the second issue, but i'll describe it. Sometimes when i have Script editor on the second monitor and heroblade on the first monitor, when i bring the pointer arrow to the top of the screen on the second monitor, the script editor window auto resizes. The fequency of fault is low, but once when i trigger it, it happens each time.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 13, 02:45:35 AM by AWW_boss »

AlderonGames

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 13, 02:05:18 AM »

The Snap feature of windows 7 that allows you to snap a window to maximum size by dragging it and hitting it against a border is broken for the new Hero Blade. Which previously worked perfectly.

Many external windows have trouble maximizing (HSL) and require the editor to be moved to another position for the maximise button to actually work, Instead of the window getting maximised/unmaximised instantly.

Sometimes when attempting to maximise the HB window it will maximise for 2 seconds then revert to previous size.

Also just a side note I have to agree with.
Also I have to voice my opinion about the defualt GUI that comes with HE. Why even change this coloring at all? Is there a way I can change it back to the default?
Even though the GUI is starting to look nicer, I loved the HE 1 GUI setup, that was perfect and the script editor looked amazing. Even if we have no option to revert to HE 1 GUI at least if you could change the colour of HE it would be nice.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 13, 02:14:07 AM by AlderonGames »

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 13, 07:51:49 AM »

Many external windows have trouble maximizing (HSL) and require the editor to be moved to another position for the maximise button to actually work, Instead of the window getting maximised/unmaximised instantly.

Sometimes when attempting to maximise the HB window it will maximise for 2 seconds then revert to previous size.

Those are issues we missed in testing, and are fixed in today's update.

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 13, 02:25:48 PM »

A minor point, but in the DOM editor when you change from Server side to Client side or vice versa, the part where it states the number of "DOM requests pending" uses white text on a light gray background.  It would probably be easier to read if it used black text.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 13, 04:30:48 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 13, 04:08:20 PM »

"DOM requests pending"

Just curious, are those from all the users on the server, or would that be limited to just your working group?

Many times I am the only one on at the time working from our group. I notice that when I open the DOM, there are no requests. I can click on the class catagory and field catagory, with still no requests. As soon as I click server/client switch, it adds a bunch of requests. It appears to be doing this because it is loading the first in the list of classes when it changes sides. From there it will next load in the 1st of the list from the deliminators you typed in. It also appears to do the same when its leaving the side, setting up the list.

While it has a requested amount in there waiting, I notice I can also change which one I want to view and it will add to the requests. Three clicks and 6 things added.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685
Pages: [1] 2