HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Folder Structuring Methodology  (Read 1546 times)

Aamnark

• World Owner
    • View Profile
Folder Structuring Methodology
« on: Mar 18, 13, 02:01:00 PM »

We are in early development stage, but do want to begin to import some basic static assets.

I have a handle on the Art Depot and Repository Browser.  Makes perfect sense and working fine.

I understand that for Characters (according to Wiki's) you must follow the file layout (Character folder with Dynamic_2/TextureBanks.  So that must remain and be done as such.  No worries.

For other assets (static primarily for this conversation):  Concerning the folder structure that exists now, it appears the static assets are found in: HE/world/livecontent/ then subfolders organized by general use or type;i.e., TerrainMaps, audio, etc

I notice in the Resources folder you have that broken down into sub-folders by location and/or type ... static assets most of them.

Is it possible (or not recommended) that for world static assets we could (under HE/) create our own folders - or must it remain under /world/livecontent/?

Also - regardless of guidance for above, if a folder is moved (or name changed) is that change taken into account in the game and areas ... so reference is kept?

Thanks!!!!

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Folder Structuring Methodology
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 13, 03:36:03 PM »

We put ours in /HE/Assets/CustomFolderName

so road stuff is in /Assets/Roads
/Assets/Buildings
/Assets/Houses
/Assets/BlahBlah

I honestly advise never to try and change any names :P  If you delete, then change your asset library manually (basically, add it as if it were a new asset is easiest) and make sure no instances are left of that asset you're deleting - in fact, delete them all before deleting in repository.

and if you didn't already read, I'll re-iterate....no spaces in file/folder names :)

enjoy!

Aamnark

• World Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Folder Structuring Methodology
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 13, 03:58:40 PM »

Makes sense!  Thanks for help and hints mate!