HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Seamless 1.0 (s-curves) and getting transition look right  (Read 1156 times)

Aamnark

• World Owner
    • View Profile

We've gone through tutorial and successfully done the s-curve (seamless 1.0) ... this will be use predominantly in our world.   I am heeding the advice of Cooper  ;)    There are some seamless 2.0 that will work for game content/play dynamics .. but in general we are sticking to what works.

Quick question on the s-curve and transition point concerning the level/terrain around it .... for instance, if we have a tight ravine with high wall (created by terrain editor) and tight, sharp curve ... what is best way to get that duplicated in both areas so it is exact looking.

I suppose we could just re-create ... but .....

I was thinking in one area we could create it (total s-curve) and slice the heightmap at the transition point ... and that which we slice off goes to the other area ... but I am not sure how to get that newly sliced heightmap into new area  (all I can find searching is importing from outside)

thanks for help and patience!!!  What do others do - is this idea nuts,  the hard way, or make sense?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 13, 10:22:47 PM by Aamnark »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Seamless 1.0 (s-curves) and getting transition look right
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 13, 04:03:53 AM »

You can also duplicate the heightmap, or use a combination of SL2 and SL1. With just heightmaps, you could easily use SL2, since their impact is quite low.

Aamnark

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 13, 06:21:33 AM »

You can also duplicate the heightmap, or use a combination of SL2 and SL1. With just heightmaps, you could easily use SL2, since their impact is quite low.

In researching, I saw that a few tried to use small transition areas between two "major" areas.  In these transitions areas they used SL2 as a "bridge" between.   But they dropped it - and went to SL1.

Was just trying to figure out how to get visual just right for transition point - shortcuts or "tricks" from more experience people ..

Thanks for help!!!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 13, 12:51:36 PM »

If you're using specifically a seamless 1.0 transistion, it would be using modeled geometry for the shared transition, not heightmap geometry. With a seamless 1.0 transition, the player has no visibility of area 2 from area 1, and vice versa.