HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: New to Hero Engine - Too much realism in video games?  (Read 1920 times)

Karnal

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
New to Hero Engine - Too much realism in video games?
« on: Mar 20, 13, 12:40:48 AM »

Background: 29 year USAF veteran and project manager. 19 years of gaming experience (including most MMO and indies)

I am doing a historical game and have designed the individual mechanics. My questions is my attempt to keep close to realism as possible such as need for food, water, and rest. I understand there are ways to implement these mechanics without it seeming tedious.

My question for current game designers is where does one draw the line between too much realism and fun in game play. I follow the rule of risk vs. reward that without risk one does not appreciate that rewards that are gained. I am rolling around the idea of perma death and several other mechanics but I realize that perma death is hard to implement. I am weighing mechanics around perma death such as death penalty (Asherons Call), equipment drop (EQ1), and more. Of course the trick is to make implement them in such a way that a player think their actions out vs. blindly running in and shooting.

Let me know your thoughts!

D.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: New to Hero Engine - Too much realism in video games?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 13, 11:23:16 AM »

Age of Wushu has the food thing going, which I'd say 80% of the people I came across thought it was highly annoying.  I learned Chef on my main character just so I didn't have to spend money on it.  The upside though, was it put some money into the player economy.

Overall, I'm not sure I liked or disliked.  I tolerated it and was easy to keep up with.  The annoying thing in that game was 2 different currencies, and you couldn't buy food with the general currency you'd get from quests/kills....so that would sway a lot of opinions I bet.

It also had a rest system of some sort that I don't exactly recall what it did.  I think you just got more xp while you were in a rested state.  Liked rested xp in some games, where the more you played, the less of a bonus you got.

Not a fan of perma-death.  Having to re-create a character over and over (pending how much you died anyway) and do the same quests/dungeons/maps/kills/whatever again and again isn't my cup of tea, but I understand some people enjoy the "thrill" of it.

I'm all for death penalty though.  Drop some goods or coin (perhaps all coin on you, since realistically if someone killed you, they'd probably rob you too).  Corpse runs were good times - though becoming a spirit isn't exactly realistic.

All in all, same as every other decision you'll make during development, some will hate it, some will love it.  Different ruleset servers can alleviate things sometimes.  Don't forget lots of people play games to escape reality ;)