HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: is PVP needed for success?  (Read 3304 times)

Karnal

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
is PVP needed for success?
« on: Mar 20, 13, 01:00:31 AM »

Do you think that PVP is a needed component for successful mmo? My theory is do it right or dont do it at all. Many times PVP is added incomplete or not well thought out resulting in a diminished player base.

What are your thoughts on PVP?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
Re: is PVP needed for success?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 13, 05:09:23 AM »

I dont think its needed 100% of the time, but there will always be someone joining a game that wants PvP in it. Thus some games are mostly PvE but they also have a little PvP in it.

Success depends on many factors. Some like to think PvP will make or break the game, but not all think that. I am not a big fan of PvP myself.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

Viper155

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 13, 12:07:48 PM »

I know for me, I will only play a game if PvP is a big part of it.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 13, 02:08:48 PM »

Depends on definition of success I imagine, but I would think your player base would be much larger if there was some good pvp incorporated, and if neither the pve or pvp portions forced the player to do the other one.  Don't force pvp'ers to craft either, they hate that lol

I loves me some pvp but I would still play a game with a pure pve aspect.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 13, 03:42:48 PM »

PvP in MMOs would be easier to develop and maintain if both players and devs would accept that true balance between classes/skills/powers just isn't possible.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 13, 04:20:30 PM »

A bunch of your guilds look for PVP aspects or they won't play. Cause when you run with 30 man guilds, pve content is beat 6 days after release.

Leaving nothing to be done. Where PvP can drag the fun factor of a game along a long ways. Thus why most people say games need PvP.

You can pull off long lasting games without PvP. If you are looking to skip that aspect though, you need really strong PvE, that is creative.

A game call Horizons, took a really strong stab at a no PvP game, and while never making it OMG successful they have managed to keep servers up, devs paid, and still turn small profits, for heck I think 5+ years now, more than some AAA titles can claim.

Their key was a near flawless PVE crafting / adventure / homeowner ship setup. If they could of got one of their key PvE elements working as intended the game might of done better.

So you don't need it, but if you choose not to go with it, you have to make sure your pve concepts are much different then go do quest, get reward.

You will need an advanced Pve mob spawner, that allows the mob bases to increase in strength, level of mobs spawned, loot table changes, etc. Ideally look for a way for mobs to take advanced owner ship and make moves out to capture new areas. IE Castle Deathshield, once ruled by the deathknights till that fateful day when their head alchemist turned them to zombies, starts out as some zombies, in a castle, but after some time, expand down the road and "capture" a nearby village, that turns to zombies.

That auto changing / self managing PvE can really help out, on stringing Pve content duration. Also look to utilize the controllng of NPC's that hero demos, use staff to hold events frequently, etc.

Doing so will let you shave the need for PvP.

Now for pvp vs pve balance, the only problem that has existed with balance, is the fact no one does smart AI in games with PvP. They do hard to kill but never smart AI. And well its hard to do smart AI, but they never do it.

Also anytime you base pvp combat on time, aka timers and cooldowns, you lose all control over balance.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Kensi1976

• World Owners
  • Story Board/Quest Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 13, 02:45:47 PM »

Most of the games I have loved thru the years have had areas where PVP wasn't allowed, and then other areas were their was PVP..

I am not huge on PVP.. but I have my days when I just want to go out and see if I can kill someone just because I could.. so you should think about the options their.

I personally don't spend very much time in PVP areas because I'm just not to much into working hard for my things just so someone else could come along, destory my armor/weapons and take my gold.
~Kensi~
From Beginning to the end
If You're Not Having Fun.. Don't Do IT!