HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Static Character Collapsing In On Itself  (Read 2030 times)

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Static Character Collapsing In On Itself
« on: May 05, 13, 01:55:12 PM »

I have a spider-like asset that I've imported into the engine but it seems to, for lack of better words, collapse in on itself and I can't figure out why.

When I recently imported it and did the whole /henpc create thing, its model appeared fine as the textures were loading (getting that whole flashing checkerboard thing) but as soon as the textures loaded, it turns into what you see in the attached shot.

Additionally when I click on it to see its properties, the properties remain in the property window for a few seconds, then all info disappears and the bounding box around the spider disappears as well.

I am at a total loss as to why this is happening and have even offered to pay someone to help me out but nobody has taken me up on it yet.  ANY help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 13, 04:56:24 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Static Character Collapsing In On Itself
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 13, 03:24:21 PM »

Looks like it's either using the incorrect animation suite, or has weighting issues.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 13, 05:29:05 PM »

How would I go about checking for incorrect animation suite?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 13, 10:47:23 AM »

This is occasionally caused by errors in the animation agent script, you should check it for errors.  I assume you've looked in the console window for any error messages there?

Are you able to preview the character in the Hero Viewer?  If you load in the character and then the animations you can play the animations by selecting one in the animation tab of the viewer.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 13, 03:46:32 PM »

Thanks Bennett.

Just FYI we had this model and animations outsourced.

Weird, using my limited knowledge of Max I re-exported and it didn't collapse.  However its facing the wrong direction.  When I bring in an instance of it, it does the walk forward animation and mills about but is facing backwards (doing the moon walk!).  I possess it and it faces the camera instead of facing away.  Any idea what might be to to blame for that?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 13, 03:52:06 PM »

Hmmm, sounds like synthetic root bone problems.  I haven't heard of anyone having a problem quite like that, check out the SRB information on the wiki and see if that helps.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 13, 04:40:47 PM »

I ran into this actually when I was writing the whitebox importer tool.

When HE == [x,y,z] then Max == [x,-z,-y] to get the same scene; and no, the Max x -z -y is not a typo, I had to switch the axis around to get it to work.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 13, 04:48:51 PM »

... Well yes there is a difference in the order of the axes, Max use Z as up down, HeroEngine uses Y, but the exporters already take care of that.

BraxFC

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 13, 02:14:45 AM »

The SRB got spun around somehow.  Easy fix.  I should've read the wiki a bit more before coming to bug everyone.  Thanks!