HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Is it possible to set up a skill system?  (Read 3153 times)

Higler

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Is it possible to set up a skill system?
« on: Mar 26, 13, 01:00:23 AM »

Is it possible to set up a skill system in HE using herocloud? The system would be similar to UO, with a list of skills that as players use they raise opposed to the class system that comes standard? If so how would I get started, what scripts would I work on first?
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 13, 01:33:31 PM by HE-Cooper »

EO-CaSpivey

• General Accounts
  • HSL Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Exile Online
Re: Is it possible to set up a skill system?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 13, 12:37:28 PM »

This is very possible in HeroEngine, however it will require serious code modification over the basic skill system present, most of which would be very specific to your game. Therefore we can not really give you code to start with because it really depends on how you want to build it. HSL is not difficult to learn, however before tackling a large system like skills I would recommend you go through some of the basic and intermediate level tutorials to learn the basics of HeroEngine.

I recommend these tutorials to start:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/How_to_write_a_script
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Creating_server_scripts
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Your_First_HSL_Script

Then move on to the more advanced:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1895.0.html

Thats all my recommendations for learning the basics the advanced will come with time but I would recommend looking at the rest of the Wiki tutorials as well as the developer created tutorials here on the forums:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/board,17.0.html

Given the nature of HeroEngine's flexibility unless you already have base code it will be difficult for anyone to help you as everyone's systems are different. Anyway that's just a few pointers hope it helps. Sorry I could not be more specific to your problem.
HSL Engineer | Exile Gaming Studio
Follow Us: www.indiedb.com/games/exileonline

Higler

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 13, 09:25:23 PM »

Thanks a bunch Casp, no need to be sorry at all you answered my main question. I just didn't want to go through the process of making this system if HE wouldn't let me without the source code, I'm new to HE so I don't know all my limitations of of the cloud vs. source. I have been over the first 3 tutorials a few times each now and have completed them, and also used them and slightly altered them to do other things, like a function for the command to open a skills menu and command to open a backpack. I'm moving on to intermediate today like GUI for skills but havent had much time to explore it completely. I haven't been through the last two links so I will go through them tonight thanks for the basic help I do really appreciate it. If you think of any other helpful links I could use all the help I can get.

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 13, 06:47:13 AM »

The Hero's Journey reference does show how to create a skill system. In their case it's a class based game, but there were skills and demonstrates many of the things you would need.

EO-CaSpivey

• General Accounts
  • HSL Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Exile Online
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 13, 11:42:48 AM »

HJRef is a good place to look, however it can be overwhelming as there are some seriously high level scripts in there.  I will keep an eye out for tutorials but if you haven't already I would watch the HSL For Programmers video series on YouTube. The go over HeroScript in great detail and can be very helpful as a reference.
HSL Engineer | Exile Gaming Studio
Follow Us: www.indiedb.com/games/exileonline

Higler

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 13, 03:30:57 PM »

Ok thank you both very much for the help, when I do master it I will post  a tutorial of how to get started and the basics of it scripting skills in :) I know every game is set up different but im sure there are some generals to all skill systems that could be helpful.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 13, 09:41:36 PM »

also point of note, cloud vs source really nothing different. Main things that end up modified with source is the client installers, some basic loading pieces / game start up things. Basically how your game works when heroblade is no longer a part of the client piece.

You can build anything you want, and get it to work in hero engine, if you have the skills to pull it off. But it's a really welcoming system, the devs have really gave you great tools to work with, don't overlook the spec system, it is super powerful tool at your disposal.

Only other point of advice, is to take things in small chunks, and build those smaller pieces into a whole system.

Oh and brain map it all out, big time. if you can't make it work on paper you can't make it work in code. Often when I get stuck I go to my white board and hammer out how the system should be pieced together. Also note you won't get it right on the first or second try, get a rough system working then play test it some and work out the kinks, and refinement. After it's decent leave it at that, don't work on formulas for months, when you really won't have solid formulas till after a mini alpha test.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Higler

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 13, 05:18:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice Keeper, I have only done light coding before such as websites and player run servers for other games mostly C# and C++. Ya thats how I was planning on doing this system in small chunks such as the command I started with that so players can say /skills and it open a menu I'm also working on the GUI for now. Then I planned on just getting all the skills in and being read not exactly doing anything just being there for the game to call on. Then actually scripting what all each skill does and lastly telling the game what items and actions are based off what skill. I don't know if this is the right approach but for a project such as this and my limited coding skill so far that would be the best approach. any suggestions feel free to let me know. Thanks again all look forward to getting this system up and making a how to tut for the community.