HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Terrain resolution question.  (Read 1588 times)

Deithrian

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Terrain resolution question.
« on: Jun 21, 11, 12:55:21 AM »

Is there a way to double the terrain resolution?
I tried to make some craters and i wanted the walls of the crater to have deep cuts in them.
With the current terrain resolution it looks something like this:

As you can see this looks rather bad and there's not enough resolution to even make most of the cuts, because the verts are not located at the top of the walls.

Is there a way to resolve that issue?
Is it possible, if not with terrain resolution, then with using a sculpted mesh inside Maya as a terrain?
I noticed that i can walk on my static 3D Models, so if i use Maya to create my terrain as i want it, will it work with the engine? And will Players fall where two "terrain meshes" overlap each other?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 04:16:42 PM by HE-Cooper »

Ashtefere

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain resolution question.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 11, 01:27:38 AM »

You can set terrain resolution to standard, half, and quarter.

I dont know if that makes it higher resolution or lower resolution though. Give it a shot.

-Jon

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 11, 01:59:47 AM »

The tessellation is set to a recommended density for online games. I think you'll find with practice and elbow grease that you can get some great looking stuff, though it is very common in both offline and online games to use modeled objects for rock faces. I like to think that I'm such an amazing world builder that I can get away without them.  ;D

But with that said, we do make source for terrain settings available in order to tweak or import, or the simple act of scaling your objects larger will result in a relative increase in triangle density. But we do not recommend taking on any of these changes unless you specifically understand what you are getting into and how it will affect client and server performance.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 11, 10:32:25 AM »

Try using the smooth brush or the "unspike" brush inside the smooth tool to round those edges. I have hills that small that are pretty round. Also a good practice is to use textures and normal maps to break it up a bit. another alternative would be to make a model and import that if detail is a factor in that area. Player will not fall through the meshes.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 11, 10:34:45 AM by info360covers »