HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Reopened] Looking for help with stitching  (Read 4134 times)

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
[Reopened] Looking for help with stitching
« on: Apr 04, 13, 01:45:37 AM »

I don't have any problems understanding the concept, but I appear to be having one little issue. Rather than writing out several paragraphs describing my issue, I prepared a 2 minute video describing, and showing the issue that I am having.

Stream:
[down]
Download:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25324004/Heroengine-help.avi

I really do hope that someone can help me with this, it is not an uncommon occurrence.
EDIT: If there is a post describing this, I apologize for re-posting. I looked around and was unable to find a related issue.
Edit: added stream link.

Outcome: If someone has a similar issue, reset midpoint by going to Terrain>Brush/Import and click center node position.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 13, 11:10:29 PM by Smithor »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Looking for help with stiching
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 13, 01:52:04 AM »

I get a 404 on that link..

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 13, 01:54:14 AM »

Silly thing Took longer than I expected, It just uploaded now.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 13, 02:05:44 AM »

I ran into this issue myself when I connected 2 modified heightmaps together with SM2. What i did was to make both heightmaps flat (flatten tool) at both ends, connected them, and then started to re-sculpt that part of the terrain.

But I can thus confirm that this was not as it always has been :(

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 13, 02:11:38 AM »

I ran into this issue myself when I connected 2 modified heightmaps together with SM2. What i did was to make both heightmaps flat (flatten tool) at both ends, connected them, and then started to re-sculpt that part of the terrain.

I just tried this myself, no luck. This event doesn't happen all the time, and other times it seemed to resolve itself. This time however, no matter what I do, It will not stitch on the one side.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 13, 06:54:08 AM »

If you make that file an Mp4 and put it on a streaming site I'll take a look at it.

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 13, 02:18:57 PM »

https://vimeo.com/63345414

Correct Video now. Sorry for the wait.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 13, 03:12:28 PM by Smithor »

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 13, 05:05:47 PM »

I'm not quite sure what happened, but I logged in today after the server had gone to sleep, and I was able to stitch all the edges that I wasn't able to yesterday. However, I deleted that terrain as it was in the wrong location, and yet again the issue returns.

maloney494

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 13, 04:04:17 AM »

that probably isn't the best method to take while stitching... I would prefer linking all your heightmaps together, then begin terraforming. Or better yet, try using a World Generator, Importing the terrain files and then stitching. Which ever way you choose to go about this it is much easy to have the area as a mass built before begin terraforming in my opinion

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 13, 03:35:54 PM »

that probably isn't the best method to take while stitching... I would prefer linking all your heightmaps together, then begin terraforming. Or better yet, try using a World Generator, Importing the terrain files and then stitching. Which ever way you choose to go about this it is much easy to have the area as a mass built before begin terraforming in my opinion

I do have a world program that I greatly enjoy (T.ED, its on hot bar in the video), but I'm leaving it out for the purpose of this one area. This area that I'm making isn't an actual gameplay area, It's just the tutorial, and I'm using it as a personal tutorial to figure out all of the workings of HeroEngine, before I start work on the exterior continents.

I had this region linked together in chunks, I had the high section, which you can see as a work in progress in the video, and then there was the lower section, which I removed because of the issue with the high section. The problem that I had with linking them all together, is that it would be too much work to bring everything up to the same level. I've been doing what I've been doing with no issues everywhere else in the valley (except with the aforementioned temporary exceptions), with only this one region affecting me.

I also let the region sleep for the night, and where this fixed all issues in other cases, it did not fix them in this instance.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 13, 09:47:03 PM »

Does it happen when you start with the proper size of heightmap that you're looking to use, or only after you re-size it?

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 13, 12:25:30 AM »

I'm still relatively new to HeroEngine, so as far as I know the only way to create a heightmap (a clean one, not pre-made) is via the create heightmap button. So I've resized each of the heightmaps I have used, always before stitching.
In the video, I created the height-map and had no issue with creating stitching, so I suppose the answer would be no, only after resizing does the issue occur.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 13, 01:41:21 AM »

have you tried create grid?

Smithor

• Developers
  • World Controler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 13, 01:57:54 AM »

The reason I don't want to use create grid, is that I want one chunk, rather than several. This region really only needs like two or three more, so I want to keep that number as low as possible.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 13, 05:16:00 AM »

Several actually is actually more advised than 1 big chunk. Imagine or loading 1 big chunk, or loading only the visible, smaller, heightmaps. I would only want to load the visible heightmaps, instead of loading these large chunks all at once.

This would also ruin the optimizations they apply to the heightmaps and the water.
Pages: [1] 2