HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Day cycles  (Read 1776 times)

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Day cycles
« on: Apr 10, 13, 09:01:05 AM »

At the moment I rather tend to not implement a day cycle in the game.. But what about you guys? Do you think it's worth the effort?

Would really like to hear your opinions on day cycles (not on the one I did.. rather in general ;) )

I did a little test anyway:

http://youtu.be/h8TeAKckhQs

Still images:

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Day cycles
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 13, 10:05:40 AM »

It's for adding that little bit extra, but is purely a choice of your game-design. If you have a space-game, you won't need a cycle.

But if you have certain effects when there is a full moon for example, you should even go further than just the simple cycle.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 13, 11:13:19 AM »

Day-night cycles are a key tool for creating immersion in an often static and unchanging game world.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

Lateris

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Obscuri Soft
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 13, 04:50:01 PM »

As a gamer in an MMO that has very large areas I think they are key to have the world feel more alive. But it really depends on your game design.  I also love weather systems. I don't think I have read any forum posts on MMO sites that people don't like it, in fact they always want it if it is not in the game.

It all depends on the design for your game. Our project has that exploration element in the design doc, so day cycles are key for us. I am currently working on a design for multiple worlds (heightmaps) where the environment panel is key. So I say go for it!
.-=[{Gamer}]=-.