HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How do I create custom Dynamic Details  (Read 1133 times)

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
How do I create custom Dynamic Details
« on: Apr 12, 13, 02:50:16 AM »

Hey everyone, just a quick question. I know how to use the dynamic detail feature within HE but I am trying to create my own grass within Photoshop and then add it into HE for me to use. The issue I am having is having them show up properly in HE.

I create the image, I save it as a DDS and then upload it. When I try and use it all of a sudden something goes wrong with the DDS file and even though the original file was saved with a white background/no background it freaks out and adds random colors to it.

My question is this: How do I create a texture to use as a dynamic detail (grass) so that the background becomes transparent. What settings would I use when I save it as a DDS file.

Thanks for your help guys.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: How do I create custom Dynamic Details
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 13, 10:13:10 AM »

transparent background, 512x512 (or other usual dds x2 size), and can use dxt1.

Also, there's different types - like 1 big texture that takes up the whole area, or 2 side by side, or 4 quadrant style, so make sure you select the proper one in Hero.

I'll pm you a dds file as well just for kicks.  I wouldn't use it in a game, but it'll give you an idea.

Jordan

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: How do I create custom Dynamic Details
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 13, 04:46:29 PM »

Alternatively, create a mask around the object in an alpha channel and save it as dtx5 Interpolated alpha.   This will eliminate glossy outlines that end up around no-background images when the background behind them changes.     Not sure if this is the most efficient way, but certainly the one I've had the most luck with getting a clean image using.