HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: 3DSMax CATMuscles - are they viable in HeroEngine?  (Read 853 times)

TheRabid

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
3DSMax CATMuscles - are they viable in HeroEngine?
« on: Apr 13, 13, 08:34:52 PM »

I tried to search the forums, but no one seems to be talking about this.

I am looking to re-skin some of my meshes from BiPed to CAT.

In biped I used twistlinks to simulate better limb twisting, and I know the same can be achieved in CAT using segmented bones.

CAT also has some interesting muscle features, with regular CATMuscles and CATMuscle Strands. I was wondering, if I set up a muscle rig will it properly export and deform in HE? If it's possible to export muscles, do the muscles count as 1 bone or multiple bones (since they are segmented, or compromised of a few bones.) The reason I ask, is I realize there is a bone limit to the rigs, and must be adhered to.

I would love some clarification in this area, especially from developers that have had experience using cat rigs in HeroEngine. I myself have successfully exported dynamic and static characters and have gotten them up and running in HE with the help of BiPed. But biped is so outdated, would love  to switch to CAT to take advantage of all the new features-- especially the muscle system which is a huge boon.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: 3DSMax CATMuscles - are they viable in HeroEngine?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 13, 11:31:32 AM »

Cat Rigs are supported by the pipeline. However I am unsure rather muscles and stuff work.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: 3DSMax CATMuscles - are they viable in HeroEngine?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 13, 12:38:43 PM »

As far as I am aware, more advanced systems like muscles in Max and Maya are not supported by the exporter or HeroEngine.  In any case, doing that kind of simulation on the fly and in realtime, as opposed to standard skinning and animation, is just not practical for a game.