HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Race limitations in MMOs.  (Read 1597 times)

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
Race limitations in MMOs.
« on: Apr 22, 13, 05:26:48 PM »

I asked in the skype room how people felt about the limitations of class between race and gender in games like Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Some one had this to say.

hey saw your bit on race / gender / class

overall if you have a lore reason then yeah limits can work out or if there is a faction piece maybe. But really depends on type of game you are making, if you are going for a pvp game, then might want to be really flexible on it on terms of racial conflicts. Long story short you don't want people forced to split apart for a long period before the game allows them to join up.

that way if I have to pick a certain race to play the class I want, it doesn't take long before my best friend and I can join up cause he had to pick a different race / location to play the class he wanted.

when looking at pvp game if it hase "factions" that limit by race, then you run into combat balance problems. If one class / race combo sticks out then that faction will win by a numbers race. And sticks out doesn't mean end up being over powered, could be as simple as they get cool looking spells, or armor vs others.

Any thoughts?