HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: procedural aircraft generation  (Read 2342 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
procedural aircraft generation
« on: Apr 24, 13, 08:01:47 AM »

Hi!

I would like to click one button and procedurally generate a nice looking game ready model of an aircraft.

Is this even remotely possible? Which tools would i want to start looking into? Are there any tools which can make procedural meshes of this complexity.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: procedural aircraft generation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 13, 09:12:29 AM »

What kind of aircrafts do you have in mind?

A lot of tasks can easily be accomplished by using maxscript for 3ds max; building a complete city with the push of a button is possible, so making some aircrafts won't be an issue :)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 13, 09:27:57 AM »

any kind of aircrafts... for example ww2 aircrafts, spitfires, hurricanes etc... but they do not have to be exact replicas, a great deal of freedom would be allowed. do you know any tutorials which would help me achieve this? Not some general tutorials on scripting, but specific tutorials on 3ds max procedural mesh generation.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 13, 09:42:38 AM »

I would start with a maxscript that builds the basic geometries of each model that you want, and from there on apply modifiers to parts of the created airplane to displace or make holes.

I am not aware of tutorials specifically targetting that, as it falls under the basic maxscript scripting knowledge. Sorry :(

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 13, 11:00:22 AM »

Has anyone tried or know how to work with SideFX Houdini? I googled and this tool popped out. On their site they brag about procedural modelling.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 13, 01:56:33 PM »

Mr PN-Dwight... if i wanted to hire you to make this procedural thing for me... how much would it cost me?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 13, 02:26:07 PM »

Poeh, I would first need to model the airplanes, then I would need to check how I can change these airplanes without messing them up.

I can add modifiers to parts of the plane to make them slightly different (bullet holes, different wings, etc...). But creating a plane through code requires a lot of attention.

I will see what I can do first for you :)

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 13, 03:39:01 PM »

This would cost me at least a few weeks to get the basics going, and requires too much effort for the actual effect.

Modelling 40 planes is better doable by spending 6-8 hours per day in 3-5 weeks than making it to generate them... I already had a huge gap in development by making an island-heightmap generator :(

Sorry, but it would require too many weeks of my time. :(

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 13, 03:59:13 PM »

No problems. If you ever change your mind, send me a pm. Perhaps we can work out some exchange of services. I have many talents ;)