HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Should the OS:// HardDrive be over 250GB for the development station?  (Read 1747 times)

NevenTale

• World Owner
    • View Profile

We need to order new PC's for the development process and because we are an indie team, with a low indie budget, we try to get the most for the least.

The HeroEngine requirements are:
(...)
Dual Core, 2.4 GHz CPU
4 GB RAM
250 GB free Hard Drive space
(...)

So, should the main operating system drive/partition exceed 250GB? As far as I know, to get the best performance you should install all the important programs on the operating system drive. That is why we would like to use an SSD.

We do not want to use a normal hard drive for the system, as it is less efficient. Do we have to get a 490GB SSD for each station, to ensure that the HeroBlade works properly. The next SSD is at 256 GB and there is no other option between them.

Any suggestions?

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.

I use a 120GB SSD for my Windows drive and have HeroBlade, the Repo Browser, and Player Client all installed on it with no problems.

Granted, I have my User Profile data (Documents, etc.) on a separate traditional hard drive so I don't need to move data to reinstall Windows, but the Hero asset cache is still stored on the SSD.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 13, 06:14:43 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation

Pretty sure that was listed as a common size of a very small HDD.  I had an 80GB SSD and now a 240 and have no issues. Most storage used by Hero Engine is from your own art assets so if you have 150GB of art assets maybe, but you probably should be storing all of that elsewhere anyway.  I believe I pulled down our full cache and it was around 7-9GB and there is a ton of crap we need to purge out of there.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

NevenTale

• World Owner
    • View Profile

Thanks for the answers, I guess I will get the 256 if there is no need for a 490 GB :)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 13, 11:48:38 AM by NevenTale »