HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Frame rate on area building  (Read 2325 times)

EpitaphMMO

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Frame rate on area building
« on: May 01, 13, 12:37:09 PM »

I was curious if someone could give me some tips on how to make sure when I am designing my areas that I don't cause any frame rate or lag issues for players. Im not sure how large any area can be before I have to be concerned about this. I have been designing are very large seamless linked map of areas but want to make sure im not making them to small or to big. Most of my areas are 128x128 all linked seamless. It would be nice to use 3 to 4 of those size hightmaps per area if it would work but my primary concern is to do anything that will cause lag or loading issues. I assumed that making a lot of small seamless links would prevent that but I wanted to be sure before I get to far into texture design.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Frame rate on area building
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 13, 02:58:56 PM »

EpitaphMMO

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 13, 03:00:59 PM »

that link is to a blank page or did i miss something?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 13, 03:22:29 PM »

EpitaphMMO

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 13, 03:40:04 PM »

Ty for the new link, One i got out of it is basically the size of areas that can or will cause low frame rates are not really an issue it has more to do with how detailed the environment you create is. So lets say i plan on creating a highly detailed environment as close to real as i can. Would it be advised to keep height maps at 128 or lower that are seamless or is 256ish to large for one area. Keep in mind i plan on making close to 100 height maps of 256 if i can.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 13, 04:11:47 PM »

Look at the special property then that the heightmap has (occluders). By building your areas wisely and not "randomly", but with high mountains that once you stand in front of them, you cannot see what is behind them... It's doable :)

But again, there is more to it then just this.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 13, 10:36:44 PM »

Well keep in mind that if you are just building out areas in a grid, you could be getting more load than having a larger area but less of.

Key is to offset the areas, so you don't get 8 areas having to be loaded and proxied, cause then you aren't saving yourself much resource wise.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

EpitaphMMO

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 13, 11:36:37 AM »

Im am concentrating on making sure I don't line of sight to many areas and making a lot of random connections between smaller areas to try to prevent too much load on the user. I have played to many games with large continuous maps that have a lot of frame rate and lag issues. If making many smaller continuously linked areas will help i'll go through the pain of doing it. Im new to this but from what I read and some advice I have seem is keeping areas under 256x256 total and seamless linking them should help a lot rather than making large 1/2 mile areas and connecting them. Seems painful and a lot more work for design but if it works that way its worth the extra time.